Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Motor swap

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harriman View Post

Kind of a shame for a car that presents that well, to have a proverbial uphill battle to hotrod it.

Go Type 4!

Bob, Type 4 motors are still plentiful, robust, and affordable.
    I have a 2.2 liter motor in my 912.
    More torque and lots lighter than an early 911S, goes like crazy!
    The handling is waaay better than your average 911.
    You can go hi-end or go simple with a Type 4. I chose simple.
    I have stock heads and cam (heads opened up for 103mm jugs).

I bought a fairly decent used dune buggy motor, already set up with 103mm cast iron cylinders, bored the cylinders for new oversized pistons, and drove it 50 miles each way to work for 10 years or so, til I retired.
    Many enjoyable trips from Ashland, Oregon to San Francisco area.
    I think I had it running and driving for $1500.00 all-in.

You will need to make up a a different engine mount and exhaust, but otherwise it bolts up to the 912 motor mount points.
    Last edited by adam912; 11-25-2020 at 04:12 PM. Reason: spelling

I've inhaled all of it and I must now agree,,,,,too expensive
    Was looking to vacate the sound of a VW for the beautiful sound of the flat six
    I think if someone had a T in as good as condition as my 12 I'd be down with a trade.
    Don't get me wrong guys, my 12 halls ass,,,,,for a 12
    I've taken the 914-6's 2.0 up Angelest Crest Hwy with no problem. Some thought I had a type 4
    I'm taking her to the shop next month for a couple of issues.
    Valves are noisy even after gapping. I have virtually no experience with internals but I'm thinking a valve or two may have flattened a bit?
    New rear bushings and a stance adjustment. Car sits 1/2 higher at the rear passenger
    Had a big bore done when Andial rebuilt the motor which has 20k since rebuild
    Taking it to TLG ok or should I stay with a 912 356 shop? Hard to get in. Marco says mid Dec
    Last edited by Bob Harriman; 11-26-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Bob,
    Your car looks nice at 30 feet, but according to my Hargerty price guide, for the same year and in equivalent condition a 911T costs twice what a 912 costs.
    Rich
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

A few 912's have gone for low 6 figures on BAT in the last year. And it's not uncommon for a nice one to go for 50 to 60. That being said these are just toys not some investment asset. I took a totally numbers matching car apart and never gave it a second thought. Some would say it's only a 912 not a 911. So what. One's 50K and the other 100K. Big deal. These are baby boomer cars. For the most part 30 and 40 something folks don't care unless they grew up in a Porsche family. And try and find gas in 20 years. Who is going to pay big bucks for a boat anchor. I enjoy tinkering on and driving my car. It's just a hobby. If it's your car do with it as you like.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

I'd suggest looking around for a 912 that's already had the swap done. They are out there. As others are saying, the swap is more difficult that it appears. My car was converted sometime in the '70s. Story goes that the owner wrecked a 66 911. He bough a used 912 and proceeded to swap everything, including the wood dash. I bought the car without an engine, because I was short on money. So pretty much everything was done. Or so I thought. The wiring alone was enough to kill me. Took me just about forever to get a '66 tach to work properly with my '71 flat six engine.

In hindsight, I wish I had come up with the cash to buy it with the aluminum case 2.0 that was in the car. If you are looking, keep your eyes on Pelican. That's where they turn up.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '63 Karmann Ghia convertible
    '76 Alfa Spider

Not real sure about the bodykit, but another 912..

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/09/...powered-912-2/

Bob, if you aren’t familiar with Benton Performance, you might want to check them out. John Benton is a tremendous supporter of the 912 community.
    https://www.bentonperformance.com/
    Last edited by JT912; 11-27-2020 at 11:53 AM.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Thanks for reminding me, but 30 ft is a bit on the far side if you haven't seen it in person. Only visual difference in the two is the effin muffler. Anyways, double value is the 12 getting screwed as usual. More displacement is all the T has and double the value is IMHO stupid but the market is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by jt912 View Post
    Bob, if you aren’t familiar with Benton Performance, you might want to check them out. John Benton is a tremendous supporter of the 912 community.
    https://www.bentonperformance.com/
    I know John very well and he has done a couple of services and rebuilt my carbs. Have a service scheduled for mid Dec to address a few minor issues so I'll get some ideas from him. Thanks