Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Motor swap

Motor swap

I'm throwing around swapping out my 912 1600 for a flat 6. Which motor is the most common for this swap? Although I would like to,,,I'm not looking for something too expensive with big HP. Frankly, just looking for a HP bump and the sound

Wow , an ambitious project . A '69 or earlier would have a matching clutch and carburetors so no additional fuel lines to instal .

Hi Bob,
    As you may recall from the 912 forum, I did this when the engine on my 912 racecar blew. It is a much bigger and more expensive project than most realize. Generally speaking, for a street car it may well be more realistic and cost-effective to simply sell the 912 and put the proceeds towards an original 911.
    Rich
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

There is always the Polo or Willhoit options for more HP, may be nearing similar $ & less time.
    I have a rebuilt 69 E Short block stashed away if you decide to jump off that slippery slope, was thinking about it for a project then got the 71 after selling heads & webers from it when I only had a couple 912's. Now an insurance policy on the 71 but thinking about moving it out.
    Have fun with your decision making Bob!

I have to agree with raspritz . I think financially you will be upside down with the 912 . And if you choose the Polo or Willhoit option you could spend more money than a 911 trade .

Thanks guys. A polo or Willhoit is too much. Ascertaining a 911 financially may be more feasible in comparison to the polo and willhoit but my 912 is a pristine outlaw looking for a heart transplant. My 1600 is in great shape, runs great and was built by Andial. I'll never find a 911 as nicely set up and in the condition the 912 is for an affordable price. I'm kinda screwed. Love my car but never was my goal to buy a 912. Came across it 25 years ago in a garage of a client I was doing concrete work for. We traded the work (3500.00) for the car. Engine was leaned out and blew a week after taking ownership of it. My HS baseball coach had a 912 coupe and I was constantly on his ass that it is a girls 911 because our next door neighbor had a burgundy 911S. I was under the impression engine swap was a fairly easy task since they're virtually the same cars.
    Name:  rally photo.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  114.6 KB

Fairly easy is a relative term , and you may think the swap was " fairly easy ", but I think most would not . The big items would be the engine mounts and the oil tank ,if this seems easy , go for it .

The POLO still requires all the same parts as a 6 conversion. Plus modified engine tin, fan shroud, engine mount, exhaust, etc. Plus I feel the 65 to late 68 912 gearing A, F, M, S, X is poorly matched for an engine with much more torque. If I had a late 68 or 69 912 901 I would replace the A gear with a B and take the 6:29 out and put a 7:31 in. I run C, GA, N, V, ZD, 7:31, and Wavetrac as I couldn't find a B 1st at the time. As Bob points out it's expensive. I did it because it had never been done before and the idea of about 80 pounds or so less weight behind the rear axle just made sense to me. Maybe a type 4 engine from FAT or another source could give the car more grunt at a more modest price.
    Bob's car is stunning.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 11-24-2020 at 07:16 PM.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Engine mounts (a big job, not a simple swap), oil tank, new rebuilt engine, carbs, dizzy, engine tin, gearset, speedo, tach, heat exchangers, exhaust system, and no end of small things. Realistically, you are looking at $15,000 or probably more, and you'll wind up with an outlaw with zero collector value. If I had it to do all over again, I wouldn't; there are a zillion nice cars out there. With all respect, Bob, it simply does not make sense unless you are looking for a major, expensive new hobby.

Rich
    Last edited by raspritz; 11-24-2020 at 08:36 PM.
    Rich Spritz

1959 BMC Huffaker Mk1 Formula Junior racecar
    1967 Porsche 911 racecar
    1969 Porsche 911T
    1970 Winkelmann WDF2 Formula Ford racecar
    1973 Merlyn Mk24 Formula Ford racecar
    2007 Porsche 997C4 cab (totaled by an idiot running a stop sign)
    2014 Porsche 991 TurboS cab
    2019 Cayman GTS (wife's)

Given that a full engine rebuild is around $20k including labor, I wouldn't think you can pick up a rebuilt engine for less than that. So the $15k above seems very optimistic.
    1970 2.2S Elfenbeinweiss
    1972 2.4T Targa Aubergine (MFI) [For sale]
    2002 996 TT Midnight Blue
    Member #3833