Thread: Pop out window latches -- only concours condition

Pop out window latches -- only concours condition

I need a pair of pop out window latches that are flawless chrome. These are going to be used on a 73 show car...

Haven't seen any repros that hold up under scrutiny.
    Last edited by Eminence Gris; 11-17-2020 at 08:43 AM.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    I need a pair of pop out window latches that are flawless chrome. These are going to be used on a 73 show car...

Haven't seen any repros that hold up under scrutiny.
    That's going to be a tough thing to find. Those latches started to pit before they arrived at dealers in your home state of California (the land of rust free cars).

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    That's going to be a tough thing to find. Those latches started to pit before they arrived at dealers in your home state of California (the land of rust free cars).

Regards

Jim
    Yep. One can only hope Eric Linden steps into the mix...

Replating corroded potmetal components is rarely a long term solution.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

I had lightly pitted originals which I had replated early on in my restoration and stored in my heated and humidity controlled basement. Eight years later when I was ready to install them, they were already pitted again despite using the same place that RM uses for their Dusenberg and other high end restorations (which is just a few km from my house). So I installed some from SMC i f I recall. Close but not identical. Mostly the shape of the curve is a bit flatter on the modern stuff.

Would be great if Eric or someone would take up the cause. The repros aren't cheap either, but even at twice the price, it would be good to have a true copy.

Ravi
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernThrux View Post
    I had lightly pitted originals which I had replated early on in my restoration and stored in my heated and humidity controlled basement. Eight years later when I was ready to install them, they were already pitted again despite using the same place that RM uses for their Dusenberg and other high end restorations (which is just a few km from my house). So I installed some from SMC i f I recall. Close but not identical. Mostly the shape of the curve is a bit flatter on the modern stuff.

Would be great if Eric or someone would take up the cause. The repros aren't cheap either, but even at twice the price, it would be good to have a true copy.

Ravi
    Yes, I had a plater explain to me once how pits could never be completely cleaned out and would reappear even after excellent plating -- as soon as 2-3 months(!)

If we could persuade Eric to just do the "foot" and the large arched parts, I think there are enough other parts in good condition to make a good rebuilt set.
    techweenie.com

I have these that might work for you in so.calif
    One is nos .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    paul chappell