Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - My seats are "Backwards"?

Help - My seats are "Backwards"?

I went to install the restored seats in my '70E project yesterday. I was surprised to find that they appear to have been put back together "backwards" during the restoration. Both seats seem to have the recline controls oriented towards the center of the car rather that towards the doors. My understanding is that for each seat, the front to rear sliding locker must be oriented towards the center of the car and the recline controls should be oriented towards the door entry. Mine were put back together with the recline controls on the same side as the sliding lockers. The photos shown the seats as is.

So I have two questions:

1. Am I correct that the seats have been assembled "backwards"?

2. I have never disassembled or reassembled these types of seats before. Is it a fairly simple swap of the recliners and seat backs from one base to the other? Any hidden issues or tricks I need to know before I attempt this?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E
    914-6 GT Clone in Progress

Quote Originally Posted by tom1394racing View Post
    I went to install the restored seats in my '70E project yesterday. I was surprised to find that they appear to have been put back together "backwards" during the restoration. Both seats seem to have the recline controls oriented towards the center of the car rather that towards the doors. My understanding is that for each seat, the front to rear sliding locker must be oriented towards the center of the car and the recline controls should be oriented towards the door entry. Mine were put back together with the recline controls on the same side as the sliding lockers. The photos shown the seats as is.

So I have two questions:

1. Am I correct that the seats have been assembled "backwards"?

2. I have never disassembled or reassembled these types of seats before. Is it a fairly simple swap of the recliners and seat backs from one base to the other? Any hidden issues or tricks I need to know before I attempt this?
    Tom

The fore and aft levers go on the inside of your seats next to the shift tunnel. Not on the outside like a SWB car. Your problem is with your seat hinges. You have 2 sets of left hand hinges. That should be easy for you to rectify.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Tom

The fore and aft levers go on the inside of your seats next to the shift tunnel. Not on the outside like a SWB car. Your problem is with your seat hinges. You have 2 sets of left hand hinges. That should be easy for you to rectify.

Regards

Jim
    Jim are you sure about having 2 sets of LHS hinges? The hinges with the tilt levers are different from each other. I should be able to swap recliners on the seat bases and be good. Am I missing something?
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

Quote Originally Posted by tom1394racing View Post
    Jim are you sure about having 2 sets of LHS hinges? The hinges with the tilt levers are different from each other. I should be able to swap recliners on the seat bases and be good. Am I missing something?
    Tom

OK, I missed the details on your hinges. The top picture shows a right hand hinge that is missing it's sliding part that releases the seat back. I looked at that and assumed it was a left hand, inner hinge that was missing it's plastic cover. My bad. Now it is clear to me. You need to swap the hinges on both seats and look for a slider (seat back release mechanism) for the right hand hinge. I'll bet you have one of those, If not, I can help you.

Thanks Jim

I have a spare hinge with the missing sliding piece and cable. I will swap that in and should be good to go.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

The drivers seat looks good to go , but the sliders need to be exchanged with the passenger seat .

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    The drivers seat looks good to go , but the sliders need to be exchanged with the passenger seat .
    Rich

On both seats the front to rear locker mechanism is on the same side of the seat as the tilt controls. On a '70 long wheelbase, the lockers need to be on the inside of the seat near the tunnel, as Jim points out, and the levers for tilt need to be on the outside of the seat near the doors. I don’t think either is correct.
    Last edited by tom1394racing; 11-18-2020 at 07:33 AM.
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

I'd like to see a picture of the seat bottoms . I think the sliders have been switched .

I'd like to see a picture of the seat bottoms . I think the sliders have been switched .
    I am about to put these back together with the correct orientation of the slider lockers and recliners controls. Basically just swapping the hinge sets from one seat bottom to the other. Anything look askew?
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Tom Butler
    1973 RSR Clone
    1970 911E

That doesn't matter. All 4 sliders are the same. Tom is on the right track (no pun intended) now.

Ciao

Jim