Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nervous about driving early MFI 911's...Need advice

Nervous about driving early MFI 911's...Need advice

I just bought a 73' 911E and am a bit nervous about driving it. I have a 356 SC that I'm very comfortable with. But have heard some horror stories of guys being left on the side of the road because they couldn't handle the car. Any pointer's you guys could help me with would be appreciated....and why would someone be left on the side of the road? What would you have to do to cause that?
    Thank you

Couldn't handle a 2.4E ??? Are you afraid of breaking down in Texas in a early 911? That is a scary thought!!... Ever see anyone of the many Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies...lol Good luck Sir .

If it's properly maintained go enjoy it. If your not sure go get it checked out. Based on your message I doubt your an overly aggressive driver. Go drive it. Over time you'll get a good feel for what the car and you are capable of. I just did 600 miles over 2 days in the Colorado high country a couple weeks ago. I carry a small tool bag. I never needed it. The car ran perfect. Your Porsche is your friend.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

noting to worry about, not much different from a carbureted 911 that would be a point of failure on the side of the road. Tuning and engine setup adjustments require a mechanic who has handled MFI cars, but there are plenty to choose from.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

What about a old dry rotted fuel lines or a oil leak into the SSI... lots of chances for fire

Quote Originally Posted by dporsche74 View Post
    What about a old dry rotted fuel lines or a oil leak into the SSI... lots of chances for fire
    higher pressure for sure, but isn't it exactly the same risk as any other 911, carburetors, fuel injected, CIS, MFI, whatever.....in fact, basically the same risk for any gasoline powered (vintage) car.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Do not believe all you hear or read on the internet.

Gary Cox
    Baton Rouge, Louisiana USA

1958 356A Speedster, Silver/Black
    1967 912, Aga Blue/Black

Not sure where you are located, or what kind of inspection you had done prior to buying the car, maybe you are lucky enough to be close enough to have Ed Mayo look your car over and let you know what you may need to address. You can find him on this site.
    Although carbureted I have no issue driving anywhere with minimal spares / tool bag, and a decision if I need an OC first, including driving down to the Texas Hill Country Rally, from here knowing I will push the car hard for 3 days and then drive home.
    Get a base line on your maintenance, then DRIVE IT!!

Regards
    Edit: 71, Targa, weber's

Yep, drive it. I have a 63 super 90 and agree this car has been rock solid, BUT only after making sure the systems are up to the task. Fuel lines, brake lines, fan belt etc....I also have a long hood 911 and feel it is actually more reliable, not sure why I say this but just a feeling as neither car has let me down. Of all the Porsches I have owned the only car that truly failed away from home was a 914 that had a TOB self destruct. Besides the basics would want to make sure chain tensioners are working properly. The 356 has an electric fuel pump as a secondary system so I guess the 911 may be more exposed if a fuel pump or CID box decided not to work. Rare but it does happen.

Ed Mayo (Mayo Performance) is in the Dallas/ft. Worth area. Absolutely the place to go for early Porsche work.
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable