Thread: Treatment of oil tanks, especially inside...

Treatment of oil tanks, especially inside...

Hello together,
    During my restoration, I’m also restoring my oil tanks for the 911. Actually I have cleaned, degreased and derusted them, there are just blank metal. I would like to paint the tanks outside, but how could I treat them inside. A lot of people mention 2K-paint treatments, but I have my doubts…

I would appreciate some help from you, because here in Europe I couldn’t find a good solution.

Hi,
    I had mine restored. I had the inside cleaned but nothing else. We cleaned it, pressure tested it, cleaned it ultrasonically and had a look inside with an endoscope. I was told not to paint the inside since there is a mesh baffle so need to be careful not to get this blocked.

On the outside we used a two part paint for toughness.

Kind regards
    Gitesh
    Last edited by 911GP; 11-24-2020 at 08:39 AM.

If the copper plating is intact then I would not coat the inside of the tank. If the copper has degraded and there was rust inside the tank then I would replace the tank.
    Mike de Jong | '71 911T/E 2.4 Tangerine | '74 911S 3.2 Ice Green

After the long and expensive restoration of my 72S I took it for a 1800 mile drive here in Ireland lasting five days along the WAW Wild Atlantic Way. I was reversing the car into my drive just afterwards and I heard a rattle, I’m hard of hearing so it was either at the correct frequency or loud.

My restorer examined the engine, a small fragment of what appears to have been rust traveled through the oil system and caused damage to the main bearings. Very expensive lesson for me.

It appears that the inside of the tank was cleaned and good, but directly opposite where the oil comes into the tank under some pressure , that pressure was sufficient to knock off a fragment of that caused the damage.

After drives I like to take the oil tank cap off and let the steam out. You will be amazed how much. Better to let if vent than sit in the tank. Just remember to put the cap back on later
    Brad Davis
    RGruppe #691
    Early 911S #1547

Hello,
    thanks a lot for your feedback...I'm sure not sure about the histroy of my oil tank, it seems, it was also sandblasted outside one day.... I guess I will treat myself to a fresh new oil tank.

Wow Brad- I have been owning and driving Porsches for over 40 years and that is the first time I have heard a suggestion to take the oil cap off after a long drive to vent the steam. The next time I take mine out for a drive I will do that when I get home to see what comes out. Thanks for the suggestion.