Thread: Paint code for silver cookies

Paint code for silver cookies

Hello all,

It's a while since I've been on here but I'm hoping you guys and galls may be able to answer a question no-one can on this side of the pond.

I have a US 1973T 911 in restoration and need to refinish a set of year correct cookie cutter wheels to go with it.

I have been unable to identify a specific paint code for the silver colour.

Has anyone looked into this?

It is possible that it may be a colour called 'Steel Blue Metallic' but the body colour with that name looks way to blue to be right.

Best.

Al.

No, it would not be Steel Blue. I would go with the simple silver metallic 936.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

What do you make of this, Dave? Just marketing-speak? Or only applicable to later years?

Name:  Cookie Cutter.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  53.7 KB

Those were from 1974, and unknown how long they were available.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Thanks Dave,

That advert was where I got the paint description from so will ignore.

I'll go with Silver Metallic 936 then.

Next question is around finish. I guess they would have been painted with gloss cellulose in '73? My first 911 was an '82 SC with cookies and they seemed to have a very heavy lacquer on them. It was cracked off in places and water/dirt had crept in under the clear layer. It was almost like a plastic coating it was that thick.

I'm thinking modern 2-pack with a gloss lacquer. The underlying texture of cookies is actually quite rough so I think gloss will be OK if not put on too think.

All thoughts/advice welcome!

Al

Original cookie cutters that I've seen have always struck me as less than glossy. I believe there was discussion about this before.

From memory (I worked in tires and wheels back in the day), the matte finish silver was typical for most German cast wheels of the early '70s. Specifically ATS, Ronal and others.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

OK, thanks guys. I'll go with a couple of coats of matt lacquer which tends to give a slight sheen.

Cheers,

Al.