Thread: Distributor Curve Advice for a 2.4 with DC40 Cams

Distributor Curve Advice for a 2.4 with DC40 Cams

Gents,

I’m looking for advice on the ignition setup for my 2.4 short stroke build.

Build Specifications:
    2.2 Case
    66mm Counterweighted Crank
    87.5mm Cylinders
    9.5:1 JE Pistons
    Carillo Rods
    2.2 Cylinder Heads ported to “S” specs with sport
    valve springs and Ti retainers
    Weber 40 IDS Carbs
    DC40 (Mod-S) Cams
    Single Plug
    7300 redline
    SSI exchangers with M&K 2 in 1 out exhaust system
    91 Octane Pump Gas

I have 911E and 911S Distributors (2.2 with 27mm shaft, no vacuum advance) available for rebuild/recurve.

I’m looking for advice on what I should use for the ignition set-up? Will the stock 2.2S distributor work for a 2.4 with 9.5:1 CR and a DC40 grind or do I need a different curve?

What should I expect for initial timing at idle and at 6000 rpm?

Points or Petronix? MSD or Classic Retrofit CDI or Bosch or Permatune? Coil?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I have already lost my original 911T distributor which I sent to a vendor for recurve, but after 19 months and $900 has seemingly given up on my distributor. I don’t want that to happen again and could use some input on how I should set this engine up with regards to the ignition and timing.

Happy Holidays,
    Oliver
    Oliver
    71’ 911T Coupe
    72’ Land Rover Series III 88”
    Early 911S Registry #3663

Consider a programmable 123 Bluetooth distributor, it offers 10 reference points vs the factory 3 , not for everyone but with a high CR you could certainly enhance driveability and extract some extra HP by adding or removing advance through the range using Dyno a laptop and a knock sensor (and someone who understands flat 6 engines)

Chris,

Thanks for the suggestion. I wish I had not spent $1500 at this point on the failed recurve of my original 911T dizzy and then purchasing the 911E and 911S distributors. If I have to I will go that route.... I checked out their website and they do look nice and it appears the CDI box is eliminated? I see just the distributor and a coil in their wiring schematic.

Anyone have any suggestions for the optimal timing settings and what the curve should look like for my build?

Thanks!
    Oliver
    71’ 911T Coupe
    72’ Land Rover Series III 88”
    Early 911S Registry #3663