Thread: idiot move with my 1968 rear view mirror. advice on putting new mirror on stalk

idiot move with my 1968 rear view mirror. advice on putting new mirror on stalk

Well I decided to pop the mirror off the stem of my '68 rear view mirror and put on on from a later mirror that I had laying around.

Well I broke the glass on the later mirror and when I tried to put the original mirror back on I broke a piece of the ring socket...

I don't need it to be a perfect match but I do want to put the mirror back in its original place and not change to a windshield mount or something.

Anyone have advice for putting a later mirror (only because they are easy to come by) on a '68 only stem?

I saw a post here but the photos are all gone so I'm not clear on how to rebuild the mirror.

Here is the thread but like I said the photos are gone. https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ht=1968+mirror
    -Jay
    Seabrook, TX
    '68 911T project -The Rat
    '74 911 3.0 EFI Twin Plug toy
    '80 Weissach 3.2 S.S. Grocery Getter
    '70 914/6 GT vintage race car

I heat the ball socket with a little heat from a hot air gun. Just enough to make it expand.

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    I heat the ball socket with a little heat from a hot air gun. Just enough to make it expand.
    I had put the stem in the freezer and still broke ball socket. Next go round I will use heat too. I think I have a later mirror laying around to try again...
    -Jay
    Seabrook, TX

Best of luck. I’ll remove my post as I thought you were wanting another mirror. .....cliff
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

@Stretch; Thanks for the advice. A bit of heat in the ball socket did the trick. I'm back in business now.
    -Jay
    Seabrook, TX

Glad it worked out well.