Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2.2 Need More Power

2.2 Need More Power

Hi everyone,
    I recently acquired a Frankenstein '70T. The body is soooo ugly....so I'm not posting a pic of it.

Name:  Motor 2.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  128.3 KB

Intention is to fully restore it back to original, as much as possible, save for the motor (matching numbers as far as I can tell), I would like to pump it up to about 200hp, rebuild/strengthen the 901 transmission appropriately.
    The motor was recently fully rebuilt by a knowledgeable Porsche trained indi here in Canada. It has only been running about 45 minutes since its completed rebuild. The build sheet includes everything that one would normally replace/refresh except that the crank was not balanced. Exhaust is standard, Webers appear original but who knows.
    I come from the 3.2 world so I don't know that much about these earlier motors.
    The car, when fully restored will only be used for street and spirited driving, no track, etc.
    So here are my initial questions for fellow forum members:
    1) Can 200hp be achieved with only a top end disassembly and not a full teardown? If so what combination P&S, porting, cams, ignition, exhaust, Weber mods should be considered?
    2) If 200hp cannot be achieved without a complete teardown, what combination would be best suited for street use? I know that this may be considered is a loaded question with many answers, but there must be a reasonable time proven formula.
    3) I've read lots about the ST motor but it all relates to the later iterations for '72-73 model years. What were the particulars to the '70 ST motor which I presume was based on the 2.2?
    TIA
    Johan
    Last edited by Uwon; 12-02-2020 at 11:13 AM.

What is your budget ?

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    What is your budget ?
    Give or take $20k .
    Johan

Quote Originally Posted by Anglocanadian View Post
    A good read. Digesting the info. Thanks
    Johan
    Living well is life's best revenge- George Herbert(1593-1633)
    ‘71 911T, 2006 C2S, Carrera RST Hot Rod http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rrera-rst.html, A4 Quattro

Is the engine basically a T ? If it is , the heads need porting , S P's & C's , S cams , a counter balanced crankshaft , a light clutch pressure plate and S intake manifolds . Balance and blueprint everything . if the main bearing webs are boat-tailed and the cylinder bases are mooned you will be close to 200 hp .

Johan, you will probably get a number of more focused and more detailed opinions than mine, but a few of us have "hot" 2.2s on this board, and I was surprised to find that 3-4 people here seem to have the same hot-rodded "2.2E+" by John Holleran. My nickname, not his. Having dyno'd this engine to get the driveability right (rather than pursue power), I was surprised to see it make 169.9 hp at the wheels when I would have been happy with 160-170 hp at the crankshaft.

Combo as I understand it:

911T case
    Mahle 2.2E pistons/cylinders
    Oil squirters
    Solex cams
    Weber 40s
    Electromotive/Clewitt crankfire ignition
    A bit of compression and "some" head work
    Headers + Dansk 57mm 2-in/2-out sport muffler

My engine gained 35 hp and a lot of driveability on the dyno, but to our dismay lost nearly 20 horses when the factory airbox went back on and we tried one last run. It gained about 12 hp back after we pulled the snorkel and air filter out to try one more pull, but it was the end of the day. I have since added a GT3 Cup-style filter setup to the factory airbox, but have not been back to the dyno. I'll "guess" that the engine loses 8-10 hp with the airbox. I am curious what it would make with rain hats, but I prefer the aesthetics and acoustics with the airbox.

I'm sure more power can be made from 2.2 liters, and do miss the 911S "rush" past 6000 rpm, but the torque and usability of the engine is impressive between idle and 6000-6200 rpm. It'll go higher, to 7000-7200, but doesn't seem to really want to. The tradeoff is 3000-6000, which is really strong and usable—it almost acts more like a 3.0 than a 2.2 in the lower end/midrange, but it still sounds like a 2.2. I am really happy with the engine. The only question is whether I will be able to resist the urge to do a 2.2S at some point sometime in the future. I really like engines that sparkle up top, which I know isn't the smartest thing for a street car…but we like what we like.

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    Is the engine basically a T ? If it is , the heads need porting , S P's & C's , S cams , a counter balanced crankshaft , a light clutch pressure plate and S intake manifolds . Balance and blueprint everything . if the main bearing webs are boat-tailed and the cylinder bases are mooned you will be close to 200 hp .
    Many thanks for your response.
    Are you suggesting a new crankshaft or having the 2.2T crank balanced?
    I'm told that the 2.4 crank at 70.4mm is "balanced". Do you or anybody, for that matter, know if the 'S' P&C's and 2.4 crank are a direct drop-in into the 2.2T?
    Bearing webs boat-tailed? I may be wrong, but I thought that this was a no-no on the "weak" 2.2 block?
    Cheers,
    Johan
    ‘71 911T, 2006 C2S, Carrera RST Hot Rod http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rrera-rst.html, A4 Quattro

Many thanks stout.
    Sure is nice to read about an actual successful mod. Thank you for sharing.
    Thank you about mentioning the oil squirters. On the list.
    Solex cams-any idea how they are different than the "S" cams?
    I'm quite familiar with Electromotive as I have a Tec3r in my RST hot rod. I'd anticipate not much trouble understanding it if I decide to go that route-tempting...
    Cheers,
    Johan

Yes . minimum boat-tailing on a mag case . The 2.4 crankshaft will fit but the compression ratio will be too high with 2.2 S P's & C's , and too low with 2.4 S P's & C's . Unlike 2.2 liter crankshafts all 2.4 liter crankshafts are counterweighted and balanced to a point . Only the 2.2 S & E crankshafts are counterweighted .
    Last edited by Richy; 12-06-2020 at 05:03 PM.