Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sepia Brown 72E-ST

Another fantastic picture. I'm thinking the ST was updated to an 73RSR or we're talking about 2 different cars.
    72S, 72T now ST

The R&T article car looks to be a non sunroof car and has comfort seats though the seats could have been easily swapped out. The period pictures of the awesome RSR look goodness clearly show a sunroof car. Doubt going from the R&T look (more ST than RSR??) to RSR would include ADDING a sunroof.

I suspect two different cars as well.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    The R&T article car looks to be a non sunroof car and has comfort seats though the seats could have been easily swapped out. The period pictures of the awesome RSR look goodness clearly show a sunroof car. Doubt going from the R&T look (more ST than RSR??) to RSR would include ADDING a sunroof.

I suspect two different cars as well.
    Yes definitely 2 different cars, as my car has no sunroof or roll bar (and no signs of one every being mounted) and no sunroof on any pics I have of the car from the family.

Here are some pics that show more clearly the lack of sunroof or roll bar and also the vin stamp in the trunk. I've also posted some showing the profile of the flares, that I believe are definitely ST flares (as per the article) and not big enough for RSR.

Name:  72E VIN window.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  89.8 KB
    Name:  72E VIN trunk.jpg
Views: 424
Size:  122.0 KB
    Name:  72E COA.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  99.2 KB

Name:  72E (1).jpg
Views: 436
Size:  103.6 KB
    Name:  72e (2).jpg
Views: 429
Size:  57.5 KB
    Name:  72e (3).jpg
Views: 423
Size:  55.9 KB

Name:  fullsizeoutput_7754.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  113.3 KB
    Name:  fullsizeoutput_775a.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  76.4 KB
    Name:  4lw1DmFYTwS5R62ApqQ5ig.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  122.0 KB

Really appreciate all the feedback from the community on the car and welcome all the input. Just trying to piece all this together and getting to talk with as many folks from this car's history as I have is a journey in itself.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Tate, that is an awesome pic!

Steve's car had no sunroof (as seen on COA I posted and also pics from article and from the family that I also posted). Steve's car definitely has ST fender flares, as per the article and I have tried to post photos that show the profile. Maybe others can chime in on that. Steve's car also did not have a roll bar (as this other car has fitted). Cant find a photo that ever shows it had one and no mounting evidence on the stripped car.

Thanks

Steve Beizer owned Northlake Porsche. He built many early Hotrods. The RSR looking car in the painting was his as well. I believe Logan Beizer has that painting.
    Franz Blam was the Service Manager for Northlake Porsche. Martine Altolaguirre was the "Unit man" I E Engine Builder. I believe your car is most likely the Road and Track car
    which is the one Steve built before the RSR type Sunroof car. Steve must have had a thing for Brown cars as the RS 2.9 Liter High Butterfly 73 he built for my father was paint to sample
    Brown Metallic. Enjoy. Tate
    1965 911 Factory Paint to Sample Orange
    1967 911S Bahama Yellow
    1968 911 S Blood Orange
    1971 911S Gold Metallic Peter Gregg
    1974 Carrera RS Blue Metallic
    1990 RUF RCT Estonia's car

Quote Originally Posted by 1970rsr View Post
    Steve Beizer owned Northlake Porsche. He built many early Hotrods. The RSR looking car in the painting was his as well. I believe Logan Beizer has that painting.
    Franz Blam was the Service Manager for Northlake Porsche. Martine Altolaguirre was the "Unit man" I E Engine Builder. I believe your car is most likely the Road and Track car
    which is the one Steve built before the RSR type Sunroof car. Steve must have had a thing for Brown cars as the RS 2.9 Liter High Butterfly 73 he built for my father was paint to sample
    Brown Metallic. Enjoy. Tate
    Thanks Tate, this is great info indeed! Never knew he built an RSR type car after the ST!! Is Martine still around? Trying to reach Franz's son (Thomas), in hopes of seeing if his dad still has any recollection or documentation on the build. Interested to find any info I can on the engine for this car. The article has the details showing how it ended up at 2.55 liters, but I'd love more info from anyone involved.

I bet that car of your Dad's was a blast with the 2.9 high butterfly setup

Thanks again for the great background.

Thank you very much for sharing these images! I have some questions about the first image, are there any weld spots? How was the flare welded to the body? Was lead tin used to fill?

Quote Originally Posted by _gonbau View Post
    Thank you very much for sharing these images! I have some questions about the first image, are there any weld spots? How was the flare welded to the body? Was lead tin used to fill?
    Hi gonbau, I’m not really sure, as know I know next to nothing about metalwork! I’ll ask my friend where the car is and see what he says.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 74USCarrera View Post
    Hi gonbau, I’m not really sure, as know I know next to nothing about metalwork! I’ll ask my friend where the car is and see what he says.

Thanks
    gonbau, my buddy says the flares "appear to have been lap welded using gas" and is consistent with the timeframe of when this car was done. Let me know if you have any other questions/suggestions.

thanks!

Hey that's my old car... The story is just about what i researched yrs ago too.... she does go good at full throttle!!!!

I hope she gonna be sepia again!