Thread: Ribe Bolt/Spring Washer Question.

Ribe Bolt/Spring Washer Question.

Name:  Ribe Bolt Spring Washer.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  89.8 KB
    Probably seems a bit of dumb question: Are there, or were there, any spring-type washers on the nut end of the ribe bolts on an "M" type caliper? Most of the crud has been cleaned off for dis-assembly, but it is still not clearly obvious that a spring washer is or isn't there. I have searched for info & I suspect there isn't any type of locking type of washer, but I'd like to be absolutely certain. I am starting a caliper re-build project & want to have all necessary components on hand before proceeding any further.

Thanks & Cheers
    JB
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. - Winston Churchill

Early 911S Registry Member #3749

As far as I know, there is no washer but when I rebuild these calipers , I do add a wave washer under the nut.. The Ribe bolts are NLA so be careful of them, Never try and undo the bolt by the bolt head end, always hold the head end and undo the fastener by the nut only I also use loctite on the nuts as well. Don't foget to replace the o rings between the calipers

Thanks, Rick

No lock washers on the calipers I rebuilt. Name:  caliper plating 032.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  63.5 KBName:  caliper plating 034.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  89.1 KBName:  plated brake calipers 003.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  105.3 KB
    Registry #2507

1970 911T

Hey Rick
    Thanks Bud - Which 'loctite' do you recommend? Will definitely be heeding the bolt advice.
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. - Winston Churchill

Early 911S Registry Member #3749

I use the blue loctite just one extra precaution, same thing when tightening them, only turn the nut, not the bolt

Very nice black oxide on the bolts?

The dozens of calipers I have worked on never had washers either. But as noted above it is critical that when removing or torquing the nut, the Ribe bit only holds the bolt; or you will snap the bit.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers