Thread: 1973 911S Targa - heavily modified, does anyone know this car?

1973 911S Targa - heavily modified, does anyone know this car?

Hi all, and happy holidays.

I just purchased a 1973 911S Targa. VIN is 9113310288. I am in Greece and found it locally. The previous owner heavily modified it to look like a later short hood with widebody. It looks like they poured a lot of money into it years ago, the conversion was done properly and the wheels are expensive 3 piece turbo wheels.

I will be restoring it, however I am curious if anyone knows the car or its history.

Welcome! Please post some photos. Let me know if you need assistance.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

A picture in its current state. You can see where the battery boxes were cut out. They did quite a number on the interior also (red leather, including the dash).

Maybe it was in a front end accident which is why they modified it originally, however what looks like the original heater box is all there so my guess is that if it was hit it did not affect that area. In there I can also see what looks like original blue paint, so my guess is that it was blue from the factory.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I would also add that in Greece they love to take newer models that have been scrapped and use all the parts to update the look of older cars. There are quite a few 912 cars over here for instance that look exactly like 964 or 993.

Should be a great project!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Welcome, and nice project... waiting for more to come...

Holiday Cheers
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Very cool. Good choice to take it back to original - 73S is a great year/model.
    1957 356A Cab Condor Yellow
    1970 911E Targa “CONDA G”
    1970 911T3.2 “Meatballs”
    1972 911T2.5 “AWBRGN”
    1972 911T Targa Glaserblau
    1976 911S Talbot Yellow

A few more pictures. Looks like it has newer turbo gauges, so not only was it converted to widebody but someone was also running this with a turbo. I have a lot of work in front of me to fix this...

A few things I noticed:
    - I do not think the doors are original, any thoughts? Looks like they are from a newer model given the mirror holes
    - Targa bar has a 3rd middle hole for the targa top, I guess it is once again from a newer model? I thought 1973 and earlier only had the two side holes for the locating pegs of the targa top.
    - The seat mounts seem to be specific to a 1973 (they look like the 1974-77 version). Were they different from earlier years? The parts catalog I have says that they were but there seems to be conflicting info at Porsche parts stores online.
    - Somebody butchered the front trunk area on the opposite side of the VIN to install a newer power brake booster. I cannot find a repair panel for this, any ideas?
    - The ID plate under the hood (with the VIN) is long gone, as it was moved to make room for the new fenders and that area is all rusted. Who makes the best reproduction VIN plate?
    - The only cool thing is that it has aluminum trailing arms, so I wonder if they are the rare turbo arms. I will check when I find a part number.

I found the production number under the dash, it is 113 1265. I think this matches up with my VIN but please let me know if I am wrong.

Thank you to everyone for your help!
    Attached Images Attached Images