Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steering Wheel Spacer for a ‘73 or Smaller Steering Wheel

Steering Wheel Spacer for a ‘73 or Smaller Steering Wheel

Hi, I am new to the forum. I have recently bought a ‘73 911 and want to investigate either a spacer or a smaller diameter steering wheel. I’m a bit over 6’ tall and my legs don’t clear the bottom of the steering wheel very easily. Seats are Recaro double lockers...they are on their lowest mounting point. Steering wheel is a 380mm RS wheel.

IÂ’ve done searches and can see some threads but most are pretty old.

Spacers I have found include

https://www.zuffenhaus.us/product/ea...ring-hub-80mm/

https://www.aasesales.com/products/h...04bc1f40&_ss=r

Anyone have any experience of these or others ? I am in Europe but happy to buy from US supplier if that’s the best source.

The other option is a smaller period Momo (or similar) steering wheel. IÂ’d love to hear from anyone that has gone for a smaller steering wheel and what they feel itÂ’s done for the steering ? I know some period wheels can have a dish on as well as being smaller.

I have the same problem as you. I was going to buy the Aase spacer, but ended up buying an entire restored wheel with a slightly fatter leather rim and one of Cornpanzer's spacers. Definitely helps, especially when shifting gears when you have to move your legs around. This was a more expensive route, but leaves my original pristine wheel safely in a box in the basement. These kinds of wheels with the spacers appear in the FOR SALE section reasonably frequently. Mine is a concours level restoration (though its gets driven a lot) so I try to keep things original, or preserve the originals if I replace something. If you aren't worried about that, the Aase spacer will work just fine.

One last thing. The Zuffenhaus one comes in 6 or 8 cm lengths. The Aase is 3 cm. 3 cm was enough for me. If the wheel was any closer, my arms would start to fold uncomfortably at the elbows. If you are tall like me, you probably have long arms, so be careful about bringing the wheel too close to you.

I don't have experience with smaller diameter wheels, which is the other option. I have a nice 3 spoke Momo that was on the car when I bought it and which is still sitting in my basement waiting for me to sell it. It has an accordion bellows style hub that is 8 cm. I found it a bit too close. But that depends on your leg length, your arm length, how you like to wrestle the wheel and how far back you like to recline your seat.

Ravi
    Last edited by NorthernThrux; 01-02-2021 at 09:46 AM.
    Early 911S Registry # 2395
    1973 Porsche 911S in ivory white 5sp MT
    2015 Porsche Macan S in agate grey 7sp PDK

I've had one made to measure in black anodized AW7075 aluminium for ~100€ a couple of years ago.
    Definetely nicer than the painted Aase Part.
    I cannot say whether a spacer only will help, or you need a smaller wheel and a spacer.
    To the topic of the seats - were they reupholstered by a well known shop in germany?
    I've had a set of seats ruined due to the new foam they used to restore mine - way too hard and way too high so you sat on the seat rather than in the seat.

Interesting I did see Cornpanzer’s thread but I think he made those spacers some time ago ? I’ll keep an eye out for them in the classifieds. I have the seat right back (as you’d expect given clearance issue!) but do have long arms so I guess a 6cm spacer could be too much. What would be ideal is having both size spacers and being able to decide between the two.

I think preference would be spacer and if that fails looking at steering wheel alternative as it keeps the car OEM.

Interesting about the seats. I only bought the car a month ago and yes the seats were restored in Germany. I know the previous owner used a company that source the original upholstery materials...I am guessing that he did use a well known/regarded company. I don’t have the file to hand so don’t know who by, I do get the feeling they are seats I am sitting on rather than in but I don’t have anything to compare them with.

Seat pic for reference
    Name:  C29C70D5-61CD-4549-9D4E-E6EFC83AE222.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  145.5 KB

just make a pic of the underside of your seats but from the description it sounds like that.
    if it's yellowish foam it's ok if the foam is more white you're in the same position like me back then. I had a friend cut some of the foam and lower the seating but then the side boulsters were even more a pain to sit in...I ended selling those seats as I had other seat options.

I have the aase spacer on my car with an rs type steering wheel. It makes for a really good driving position.

Name:  033D7508-71EF-484E-A8E5-BA33E74B9672.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  112.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by uai View Post
    just make a pic of the underside of your seats but from the description it sounds like that.
    if it's yellowish foam it's ok if the foam is more white you're in the same position like me back then. I had a friend cut some of the foam and lower the seating but then the side boulsters were even more a pain to sit in...I ended selling those seats as I had other seat options.
    Thanks I will check. Car is in storage currently (salt on the roads at this time of year) and we’re in lockdown so won’t have access for a few weeks...will check when I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post

The fact it’s 400mm rather than 380mm would put me off...would presumably negate some of the benefit. Plus I’d like to keep the car looking/feeling as standard as possible.