Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche Side Decal Sticker

Hmm. I think I'd rather have the Porsche Classic stripes than the Vinyl Sport stripes. The wider spacing and the very square letters does not look good to me.

I'm not sure if I will add stripes to my car, but if I decide to do so, I'll wait to see if the Tilton-style continuation stripes happen before making that call.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Another crucial detail that Bob got correct but that few people catch on to is the spacing of the lines. On Bob's scripts, the distance between the top line and the middle line is approximately 14mm, and the spacing between the bottom line and the middle line is approximately 18mm. This is subtle, but when you know what the right scripts look like (as Bob's are), it's a contributing factor to why other scripts look wrong.

Name:  IMG_0298.jpg
Views: 2419
Size:  73.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0296.jpg
Views: 1319
Size:  35.4 KB

Name:  IMG_0297.jpg
Views: 1294
Size:  40.8 KB

Thanks for the input everyone, additionally, could someone please provide on Bob's decal, the total overall width of 'Porsche' and the thickness of the font in millimetres. Thank you.
    Last edited by al agustin; 01-13-2021 at 01:38 PM.

Doug, thanks for those side by side pics of the different decals - makes it really easy to see the differences.
    It's wild how the smallest changes to the corner radius and spacing of the letters makes such a difference visually.

And ibmiked, thanks for pointing out the 4mm difference between top and bottom bar spacing.
    That offset really does make Bob's script look 'right' to the eye!

I think I'll move forward with the Porsche Classic decals on my E and keep a look-out for Bob Tilton making a return to production.

Thanks again.
    Iain

1970 911E coupe conda green
    2018 911 GTS coupe silver
    Early S Reg #3880

I think I have more than enough information to draw this up precisely in CAD, having it printed/produced is the easiest part. Thanks everyone.

Here's a set of original 68 doors I had at one time and sold. Original factory supplied stripes. I took direct tracings off of them on vellum and have them laying around here somewhere....

I've intended to draw them up in CAD myself,,, Just never seem to have the spare time, what with all of the other irons that always seem to be added to the fire, haha. I should dig the vellum back out and measure the stripe spacing differences.

The doors were complete with sweet 911L door tops and elephant hide door panels. Sold everything off except the window frames in case I want to backdate my doors with wings.

Looking at the pricing I asked way back then,,,, I should have kept them in hiding like a CD and let them mature a bit, haha.

The doors:
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I have already done the initial drawing based on all the information gathered from past discussions/threads here. I will also have access to one of Bob's original decals soon and I shall measure it to the mm to ensure complete accuracy (correct) and refine this cad file in due course/have it ready for printing. That's the beauty with cad, one can work to the smallest dimensions etc..Thanks for everyone's input and sharing of information. I will also share this once completed.

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 1196
Size:  15.5 KB
    Last edited by al agustin; 01-16-2021 at 05:12 AM.

To add further dilemma to this discussion and having personally explored all the previous threads,observed and scrutinized a collection of images and taking note of dimensions etc. I now wish to share my thoughts on the matter. For the record, I'm an Architect and 'correct dimensions' is what I deal with everyday of my miserable life. Moving forward, it is safe to assume that we at ESR have concluded that Bob Tilton's decal is 'THE CORRECT' Porsche side script; but after having personally drawn this 'thing', new questions became evident. This post is not intended to 'bash' Bob's decal at all but rather propose further questions. The image below is a summary of my findings.

No.1 image is the actual Bob Tilton produced side script/decal as shown on a 911.
    No.2 is my CAD drawing of Bob's script based on accurate dimensions provided by the generous Hugh Hodges from his very own car.
    No. 3 and 4 are both certified originals of period factory side scripts and this is where it gets interesting. According to post #22 referencing Bob's decal, the lower edge of the first stripe to the top of 'P'/Porsche' is supposed to be smaller at 14mm above the 'P' and 18mm below the 'P'. This does not appear to be true if one refers to image 3, especially as shown on letter 'S'. Further to this, the solid bar/middle stripe appears to be at least 50mm inside the door edge in front of the 'P' (yellow door) and yet terminates before the door edge on Bob's (photo1)-indicates font size or spacing is incorrect. Is it therefore safe to assume; that like the original Porsche toolkit and 'SOME' of the discrepancies and inconsistencies we've discovered from different/various Porsche owners, that we may have the same scenario regarding which script is actually correct?
    I personally believe that we will never know either including which is the closest to being correct as it now appears even Bob's decal is now also questionable...sorry nonetheless to bore/confuse the shit out of you. Notwithstanding, I still think Bob's decals is the best looking one BUT....

Name:  Aldo Script.jpg
Views: 1204
Size:  123.9 KB
    Last edited by al agustin; 01-18-2021 at 08:41 AM.

Al
    I think one of the issues is that it is almost certain that the "official" factory supplied stripes changed in small details over time - they certainly did in later years> i have no doubt that Michael's photo shows original factory supplied stripes - but were they supplied in 1968 or at a later date?

Also the placement (lower stripe below or above the bottom edge of the door is also variable - maybe this is a year to year thing, maybe within a year or maybe depending on whether the car had S trim there or no trim.

I am not an architect so maybe not so anal as you (although some may dispute that ) but I have relied on official factory photos when the cars were brand new. To my eye the Tilton ones I have on my car look as close as possible to the earlier ones on the early 1970 and late 1960 cars (although there may even be minor differences over the years up to 1973 I cant pick them from photos)

Here are a few to look at firstly 911R probably the first 911 to have these. This is a factory press picture and the spacing, as far as you can tell from a photo looks identical to the Tilton ones
    Name:  911R 002.jpg
Views: 1197
Size:  67.3 KB

next 3 photos of the 1970 MY "homologation S" - the base for the ST's
    Name:  1970 lightweight s.jpg
Views: 1199
Size:  152.2 KBName:  Type911ST 70 front.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  76.9 KBName:  Type911ST 70 rear.jpg
Views: 1171
Size:  67.7 KB

Again they look the same, especially looking at the overall length on the door, as the Tilton one on my car

finally the 1972 ST that has a wider rear quarter panel so a bit more decal at that end
    Name:  1972 st.JPG
Views: 1196
Size:  45.8 KB

None of those has any S trim that may impact the exact placement but not the decal itself

the 1969 options book does however have a (poor quality) photo of a car with the S Trim. it shows that the lower stripe is just above the lower edge of the door
    Name:  1969.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  17.8 KB
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

This is the outcome from your last email and after all the adjustments and revisions to the millimetre as per your instructions and observation based on your original Tilton decal, including photos etc. Once more, thank you very much for all your valuable information Hugh!
    Incidentally, I also agree with all the points you highlighted regarding the evolution of this decal. I am still astonished how rigorous Porsche are with just about everything they do after having learnt all the subtle changes and 'intended' discrepancies in this side decal with the radius on the fonts, changes in spacing and thicknesses within the fonts etc...all in the pursuit of pragmatic perfection and aesthetics....my 5 speed 901 gearbox still sucks though in my opinion.

Name:  Final version.jpg
Views: 1148
Size:  8.1 KB
    Last edited by al agustin; 01-19-2021 at 12:46 AM.