Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche Side Decal Sticker

I've got a set of these ordered from Vinyl Sport Classic.
    When they arrive, I'll put a pic and my thoughts about them here.
    -Doug
    2022 Carrera 4S Oslo Blue
    1977 Martini Edition 924
    1989 Lancia Delta Integrale 16V

Not sure what color decals you are looking for, but you can buy new genuine side script decals from Porsche Classic in black and white.
    Iain

1970 911E coupe conda green
    2018 911 GTS coupe silver
    Early S Reg #3880

Quote Originally Posted by Ukusto View Post
    Not sure what color decals you are looking for, but you can buy new genuine side script decals from Porsche Classic in black and white.
    The font is not the same as Bob Tilton's examples. On his, the letters were much more squared off as compared with the Porsche Classic ones.
    Some folks care about that....not all do.
    -Doug
    1977 Martini Edition 924

Example Name:  e0a9662e-6073-4e69-ae2a-773f6b02c24e_zpse4fa3a3f.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  98.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by skinnerd View Post
    The font is not the same as Bob Tilton's examples. On his, the letters were much more squared off as compared with the Porsche Classic ones.
    Some folks care about that....not all do.

I'm definitely in the 'do care about that' camp and would like the side decals as period as possible.

Would you mind helping me evaluate the Porsche Classic stickers before I put them on my car?
    I'm attaching a couple of pics showing the decals. The font size is approx 1.5" tall and 4.375" wide.
    Apologies if the letters are difficult to see clearly - the backing layer is still on the decals.
    Thanks in advance.

Name:  side1.jpg
Views: 768
Size:  68.7 KB

Name:  IMG_4583.jpg
Views: 741
Size:  109.3 KB

Name:  IMG_4586.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  72.9 KB
    Iain

1970 911E coupe conda green
    2018 911 GTS coupe silver
    Early S Reg #3880

Just got my stripes in today from Vinyl Sport Classic out of Italy.
    I'll take some pics and measurements tonight from them and also Bob Tilton's stripes that I have on another car.
    That way you can see the differences pretty clearly.
    Out of the box, the Vinyl Sport Classic stripes look good, have the correct font appearance, but the letters are a bit shorter than Bob's letters (1.5" vs 2" for Bob's).
    More later tonight.
    -Doug
    1977 Martini Edition 924

Bob Tilton's stripes are the ones installed on the car (black & white) and Vinyl Sport Classic stripes are taped above.

Name:  side1.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  110.6 KB

Right away, you can see one big difference that's a problem with the Vinyl Sport Classic stripes.
    Even though the letters individually are about the same size as Bob's letters, the Vinyl Sport Classic letters are slightly spread out more.
    This is a problem if you mount the stripe low enough on the body as I did that their letters won't wholly all fit on the door.
    The letters in both the different sets of stripes is about 1-1/2" tall and 4-3/8" long.
    The overall width from the top of the upper stripe down to the bottom of the lower stripe is about 3-1/2".

The research that I had done in looking at vintage pics with Bob's help showed that the lower stripe needs to be below the door opening like I have on my car.
    If you do that, the Classic Sport Stripes won't fit all the lettering on the door. One of the letters will need to spill over the door seam onto the adjoining body panel.
    I guess you could individually cut out each letter and space them an 1/8" closer to get around this issue, but how tedious....

I'm going to be putting this set of stripes on my 914 so there is no problem as the 914 door is wider than a 911 door.
    Last edited by skinnerd; 01-12-2021 at 07:47 PM.
    -Doug
    1977 Martini Edition 924

You can see minor differences in the stripes.
    Bob's have a bit of a curve on the corner of the letters that the Vinyl Sport Classic don't have.
    Look at the P, O, R, S and C.
    Hopefully can see it.
    Also the notch in the R smaller (very small) and lower on Bob's stripes.
    Just subtle differences Bob found in his research that he incorporated into his vision of what these stripes should look like.

I would just say the Vinyl Sport Classic letters are more squared off than Bob's and the Porsche Classic letters are more rounded than Bob's.
    Bob's sit in between the two.

Size-wise the Porsche Classic stripes look pretty good.
    The generic stripes you see all over the place are all wrong as the lettering is 2"+ in height and it just doesn't look right.

Name:  side5.jpg
Views: 722
Size:  78.6 KB

Name:  side4.jpg
Views: 747
Size:  68.8 KB
    Last edited by skinnerd; 01-12-2021 at 08:25 PM.
    -Doug
    1977 Martini Edition 924

Name:  1980_porsche_911sc_1600893204450bf6a911_022_web.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  123.4 KB

A prime example of a set of stripes that don't look "right" because the lettering is too tall.
    Didn't stop this car from selling for big bucks on BaT.
    Not sure if this is more "Singer" style or sized but it's not "vintage side stripe" sized.
    -Doug
    1977 Martini Edition 924

Name:  stripe2.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  160.7 KB

What Bob Tilton's stripes look like on my car.....
    Quite a contract to the blue car above, eh?
    Plus you can see the difference in 15's (my car) and 17's (blue car).
    -Doug
    1977 Martini Edition 924