Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Porsche Side Decal Sticker

This is getting good! Look forward to seeing what you measure.. Interesting theory on the overall width from the racing version to when applied to production cars as an option.

I'm a miked too by the way, lol.

Hugh, I've been looking over all of the same photos that you posted and trying to develop some sort of scale. The placement on my doors were obviously because of the S/L rocker trim so, would have been 68- ON if used with S Trim. I imagine the placement might have been different with T trim.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Quote Originally Posted by ibmiked View Post
    It's also possible that the earliest version of these decals may have had more space between the bottom stripe and the text because the intended use was on cars like the 911R which didn't have rocker moldings. Those cars had the scripts lower with the door line running between the lower stripe and the text.

Perhaps later when they became popular the gap was adjusted because the scripts were installed above the door line due to rocker moldings. The fact that the difference is 4mm on the non-symmetrical scripts aligns with the fact that factory door gaps are 3-4mm.
    I think I'm convinced by what you proposed that the earlier version or simply 'another version' which Bob produced is as correct or as valid as the one Michael also presented. At least we know that the top/bottom-small and big spacing of the stripes was correct....that the Germans did intentionally produce/designed it asymmetrically. Am I imagining it or does the vertical bits of the font look 'fatter' than the horizontal bits?

Name:  Script.JPG
Views: 1092
Size:  39.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by al agustin View Post
    G'Day Michael, thanks for throwing another spanner in the works! I have found this quite interesting after having drawn your specified dimensions on CAD, the overall width of the 'Porsche' translates to 962mm overall width whilst Bob's is only 937 based on Hugh's accurate dimensions as well. As mentioned somewhere on this thread, the wider it is; the more problematic it becomes when applied on the door as the letters begin to 'seep' out beyond the lower door edges whilst moving it higher to compensate for the increased width, dramatically affects its appearance on the car and therefore conflicts with its aesthetics. Do bear in mind this notion only applies to the 911 door. I do also agree with your statement 'I highly doubt a number of German Engineers would have allowed an asymmetrical design of the spacing of the stripes in relation to the font'
    For the record, dimensions are the +/- 1 mm for both Hugh and your dimensions for the fonts but your 32mm spacing between the fonts is the most 'major' difference which as mentioned above; spreads out the 'Porsche' word quite widely. Whilst the spacing on Bob's as per Hugh's dimensions, are quite varied and asymmetrical. Thanks everyone for participating in this nerdy discussion.
    So, I must apologize as I'm in a bit of a fog the last couple of days. My lab Loki had knee surgery and his sedation wore off last evening. Last night was like having a new born again, haha..

I edited my previous post on the spacing between the letters. It's 26mm. For the life of me, I don't know why I wrote 32mm. Anyway, the width of all the letters is the same and if I go with a 110mm with the 26mm spacing, the 'PORSCHE' comes in at 926mm calculated (36.457") and physically measuring my trace I got 36.4" so, yeah,,,,,
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I think I'm convinced by what you proposed that the earlier version or simply 'another version' which Bob produced is as correct or as valid as the one Michael also presented. At least we know that the top/bottom-small and big spacing of the stripes was correct....that the Germans did intentionally produce/designed it asymmetrically. Am I imagining it or does the vertical bits of the font look 'fatter' than the horizontal bits?
    I'm not yet convinced on the asymmetrical stripe spacing. While the overall stripe might have moved up or down on the door or was made larger or smaller overall depending whether used on the 911/911R, 908 or 917 for what looked best visually, I'm just not all in on a 4mm difference there.
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

It appears the width of the vertical lines of the fonts are more than 10mm as well!
    On the Tilton ones I have the horizontal lines of the font are 10mm but the vertical lines on most of the letters are (or about) 15mm - it is a bit hard to judge with the S and P etc where there is a small "hole" with curved edges as i think the 15mm is at the narrowest but due to the curves and the narrowness of the gap most of the vertical part is actually wider

I have been measuring mine on the car using a see through plastic ruler with black markings so sometimes it is a bit hard to tell if a half mm is involved
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by 70SATMan View Post
    I'm not yet convinced on the asymmetrical stripe spacing. While the overall stripe might have moved up or down on the door or was made larger or smaller overall depending whether used on the 911/911R, 908 or 917 for what looked best visually, I'm just not all in on a 4mm difference there.
    Michael
    I am convinced that there are at least two "early" versions. The ones Bob copied which I think were on the R and the 1970 lightweight S at least (and thus probably on all the 69 and 70 rally and sports purpose cars that we see photos of etc), and the one you have. i am not sure however where yours was used but it is different in overall length of the word "Porsche" as well as internal spacing

I would not be surprised if the "plastic cars" from the 60's had at least one more version

These all look closer to your version than to Bob's and to my eye look somewhat different to each other?
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Quote Originally Posted by HughH View Post
    Michael
    I am convinced that there are at least two "early" versions. The ones Bob copied which I think were on the R and the 1970 lightweight S at least (and thus probably on all the 69 and 70 rally and sports purpose cars that we see photos of etc), and the one you have. i am not sure however where yours was used but it is different in overall length of the word "Porsche" as well as internal spacing

I would not be surprised if the "plastic cars" from the 60's had at least one more version

These all look closer to your version than to Bob's and to my eye look somewhat different to each other?
    I've got this photo on my drive that is decent sized and I'm going to try and use it to approximate the stripe spacing. Obviously if this whole stripe moves up, there is more center stripe revealed on the door. When I look at this photo, I don't know if I see the asymmetrical spacing in Bob's example because I want to or whether the door gap is creating an optical illusion. Wish I had a time machine, I'd buy that car and then we'd know, LOL.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Michael

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

you would have to fight a lot of people for it if you had the time machine - but no one from back in the day
    Try it on the leading edge before the door - that should eliminate any impact of the door gap
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Michael, I think the space below Porsche is definitely wider...but the vertical 'bits' on the font does not look as wide as 15mm Hugh! This is getting all too confusing. At least this thread has determined one thing for sure, there were 2 correct versions of the Porsche script and not just Bob's.

Hugh, please, if you have the time, could you please confirm which vertical font 'bits' are 15mm. Thanks a lot!

Michael, do I assume all the fonts are 10mm both horizontal and vertical on your version? Thanks a lot!

Name:  Capture.jpg
Views: 670
Size:  11.7 KB

Al
    I sent you an email..but for any others who may be interested in this detail here is what i found
    "Hi Aldo

I have figured out a different way to measure and get it slightly more accurate.
    Using the ruler at 90 degrees to the side of car and looking down instead of putting it on flat. Slightly better accuracy I think

I will do each letter for you. And do leading edge (LHS). And trailing edge (RHS)
    See if that helps
    Gap from solid to P 14mm (I measured that on the RHS where there is no door gap)
    P leading edge 14mm. Trailing at smallest part 14mm
    Gap 27mm
    O both look like 14.5mm. But may be supposed to be 14mm
    Gap 32mm
    R leading 14mm. Trailing top and bottom seem to be 15mm at the skinny part of top
    Gap 27mm
    S leading 14mm (top) trailing seems to be 13mm (bottom)
    Gap 31mm
    C 14mm
    Gap 29mm
    H 14 mm both sides
    Gap 29mm
    E 14 mm
    Gap from edge of E to solid long piece14mm

I suspect a couple of the minor differences ie from14 mm may be in copying his design to manufacturing "
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776