Thread: Spring Plate Bushings and Sebro -- Elephant or less expensive versions?

Spring Plate Bushings and Sebro -- Elephant or less expensive versions?

I need to replace the spring plate bushings in my SWB car. I know that Elephant Racing has a great reputation, but I'm wondering if the company's rubber spring plate bushings are better than the rubber bushings sold on Pelican, Rennline and elsewhere. I'm willing to spend for a better product if it's worth the money. Same question for the Sebro ball joins sold at Elephant vs elsewhere.

Thanks, Joe
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '63 Karmann Ghia convertible
    '76 Alfa Spider

Buy them International Mercantile. I have done these bushings numerous times and have been disappointed in the soft replacement bushings. URO brand - anything they make in rubber fails immediately, Weltmeister has been around for a while and they are ok but still soft, there are some Made in Italy - still soft. Not sure if Elephant makes their own but theirs are similar to Weltmeister as I have used them.

The problem is heavy weight on a small bushing, even more so with 911 engine vs 912. Replacement bushings are not very strong rubber so they sometimes end up sagging a few years on. I worked with Terry at IM to make the same bushings with a material that had a higher shore value (harder/stronger). So far they seem to be great and hold the weight well. In 356 cars they have solved many issues. The first set was done last year so not sure how they will last the test of time, they seem much better so far. Especially important for 65-early67 rears where the smaller inner 356 bushing was used. The small inner bushings cars fail faster. There is a part change halfway in the 67 MY the inner bushings were increased in size so you will have to check your car, there is a VIN split in one of the books. Buy from the small craftsman guy with the special effort put into the part!

Thanks, Mark. I'll give IM a call. I don't see the parts listed on the site. I might have to pick up a set of those rubber floor mats at well!

Joe
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '76 Alfa Spider

I bought the recommended replacement bushings. They lasted 18 months before they went flat. Considering what my time is worth I stepped up and bought some Rebel Racing bushings 8 years ago. Front and rear. Still smooth and perfect. No grease needed, no sag, no movement in suspension settings, no noise. I had a nut welded to the end of the torsion bars and a grove machined so I could install a C clip so the bars can't walk out. If they get stuck I can add a slide hammer weight and pull them out in no time.

https://www.rsrproducts.com/product-...ar-bushing-set
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 01-14-2021 at 06:31 AM.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Those look pretty slick, Chris. Maybe in 18 months, if I have the same experience. But I'm a college professor, so my time, alas, isn't worth all that much.
    '66 912 with a 2.2
    '62 Lotus Seven S2
    '66 Lotus Elan
    '76 Alfa Spider

I'm hoping your experience is much better than mine was.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

I went with the "aftermarket" rubber bushings, and with about 1200 miles on the car I haven't seen any issues "YET". But for the trouble it was to dial in the ride height after replacing the bushings, I would spend the extra money and do it once and be done! LOL

If it helps, here is the video I did on how to replace those bushings.

https://youtu.be/8l873b3aLYQ

Brian