Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Epoxy Resin Cars

Cool idea!

What's the mold made of?

RTV silicon rubber does wonder! And if you "prep" your model's surfaces, with molding wax for exemple, you can get a bright finish out of the mold.
    Another little tip (works for the mold, and for the pour) when you pour your resin or silicon, cast everything in one "string" and start in a flat area.
    Sorry, it's not very clear. But youtube will explain way better!

Olivier.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    Cool idea!

What's the mold made of?

RTV silicon rubber does wonder! And if you "prep" your model's surfaces, with molding wax for exemple, you can get a bright finish out of the mold.
    Another little tip (works for the mold, and for the pour) when you pour your resin or silicon, cast everything in one "string" and start in a flat area.
    Sorry, it's not very clear. But youtube will explain way better!

Olivier.
    Thanks for the tips, hoping to do my first pour in the big mold tonight. I'll keep everyone posted.

And yes, the molds are straight silicone.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

So after three tries to make a larger mold for more cars, and three failures I went back to the drawing board. More research showed me an alternative method to making the mold that looked very promising, and a lot less work and mess. It involved DAWN soap and water, pretty simple, right? I tried and it was much easier. I poured resin in the new molds so tomorrow we shall see if the finished result is better. But I now have 11 car molds, so everything from a 917, to a Speedster, to a RSR. One drawback, the new method take all the paint off the little cars in the mold making process. Strange byproduct.
    Stay tuned.

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

Ok, so lots of trial and error later, more error actually. I've upgraded the mold making twice and am much happier with the latest results, shiny and crisp, without any buffing or sanding. I'll keep working but the process is improving, and I'm still having fun!

---Adam

Latest batch, new mold, some came out better then others. I'm redoing the mold on 2 of them. Still having fun.

Oh, and a one off batch, my niece Lark wanted blue with purple glitter, I couldn't refuse!

---Adam

I've started experimenting with color, I got a tip that lite color will help to cover imperfections. This was a little too much color, the batch currently cooking has a lighter coloring. Fun!

---Adam

So after the mint green batch I had an idea. What would happen if I added one drop of black to the whole batch? Would it be just enough to mask any imperfections. I like the result. And I ordered better resin now that I'm getting my technique down. I've been using industrial grade marine resin, it's cheap! But I ordered some diamond sparkling clear artists resin, so it should only get better from here!
    ---Adam

Adam

Bravo, love what you are doing to kill time at the house due the C19 jail time. A tip of my hat to you for perserverance. How about some 944s...... esp the 1988 0r 89 Turbo. Make a nice one for me and I'll buy it. :0. I really like the one drop of black tint. Keep experimenting! Looks like so much fun. Especially with your kids and niece. May I recommend your next step -- period correct dioramas. Kinda like building a train set but w P cars!

wj

Quote Originally Posted by JackMan View Post
    Adam

Bravo, love what you are doing to kill time at the house due the C19 jail time. A tip of my hat to you for perserverance. How about some 944s...... esp the 1988 0r 89 Turbo. Make a nice one for me and I'll buy it. :0. I really like the one drop of black tint. Keep experimenting! Looks like so much fun. Especially with your kids and niece. May I recommend your next step -- period correct dioramas. Kinda like building a train set but w P cars!

wj
    There will be no buying, these will be free!

---Adam

These tips might help (i make surfboards) For your bubbles... the best way to get rid of them is not to introduce them. Don't shake your resin (obvious) Stir your hardener in your resin by the "scientific" method. Slowly move the stick down the side, then across the bottom then up the side, rotating around the cup. Also scrape the side in a complete circle. Put your resin in the kitchen sink and warm it up.
    Also Surf Source (on your side of the world) sells a surf board resin that does not need hardener. Just pour it and let the day light activate it.