Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One Newbie's Path to Buying a First Porsche

Quote Originally Posted by StephenAcworth View Post
    Love the colour... great looking car! And you should check out Brett Johnson's book too - he is in the process of revising an updated version which, if its anything like the 356 book he did, will be amazing...

https://tpr-inc.com/about/
    Thanks for the tip. I see that a new version is expected in May 2021. I will pick up a copy then.

HH

Quote Originally Posted by lkadams View Post
    Great perspective Howard! Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the fold. When I bought my car 15 years ago, I only had one real driver - budget, and it wasn't much. I was fortunate to find something I could afford as I'm priced out of the game now. While you are in the Midwest, I'm in "the midwest of Canada" so California was the obvious place when I was looking as well. There was a term from the Vintage VW world that I came from called "Behind The Orange Curtain" which meant that the SoCal guys have no real idea of what the rest of the world is like car-wise
    Your 1969 Blutorange car sounds cool. One thing that I like about this forum is that it includes people like us who can't always spend the money for the perfect solution. Everybody seems welcome and constraints are respected.

And, yes, while I don't know much about the car seen anywhere, I can imagine it having its own vibe in SoCal.

HH

Sweet car!

You're a better man than me in trying to introduce yourself. I should do it at some point too.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDriver View Post
    I don't know what range is appropriate for a car like this (as in, how many miles does it make sense to put on it?), but I plan to drive it with pleasure across the midwest.
    I did 800 miles in a day a few months ago in my '71 T. It is well sorted though. As I'm sure many will tell you: understand how to change the fan belt, and carry some oil - but that trip, no problems at all. The silver lining to this pandemic had been using my targa as a daily driver - it certainly prefers being driven as opposed to sitting. I took it out of storage on a warm weekend day in December after a few weeks sitting and boy did it fight me for the first ten minutes, whereas if I am driving it daily, I just hop in and go. My only loathing is the targa top screams like hell above 70 mph, so best to drive in the summer when you can leave it off. Plus, when it gets below 40 degrees, you'd be shocked at how cold your toes get without an engine to block all of that cold air.

6jx15 won't cost too much, just keep an eye here or on the samba and you'll get a feel for pricing.

And don't sweat the MFI, far better to have the 901 transmission.
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

Here is mine, at the time it had 15" wheels, It now has the correct 14" wheels the car came with.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Ed, Howard, One of the first things I did in buying this (car parked 16 yrs) was go to 16" wheels for better tire selection a friend had a nice set in black then about 5 yrs ago I found these done by Al Reed and put the black SC wheels in the attic of garage. My BIG mistake was taking the orig 14" wheels to Hershey and sold them :-( although I got a great price at the time, may be 15 yrs ago when no one wanted them, I should have stashed them away, I do have a set of flat 6 15's in the garage just not the original set. Although I like the 16's I should have saved the 14's.
    Great looking cars! here is mine from a drive a few weeks back.

Best Regards
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ed-

Our cars are indeed twins! It is interesting how they have both had wheel changes over their lifetime journeys.

Thanks for posting photos of your car. Hopefully they will be side by side some day.

Howard

Jerry-

It looks great in red, too! Very cool.

What tires do you run and do you recommend them? The first thing I need to do is replace the 25+ year old tires my car has on it now. It is equipped with 205/55 tires on 16" wheels. Your recommendation would be appreciated.

Howard

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDriver View Post
    Jerry-

It looks great in red, too! Very cool.

What tires do you run and do you recommend them? The first thing I need to do is replace the 25+ year old tires my car has on it now. It is equipped with 205/55 tires on 16" wheels. Your recommendation would be appreciated.

Howard
    I am running 215-50 16 on the Targa, Dunlop Direzza. I like a lot of tire :-) they perform well on the highway as well as spirited drives. I also have 16's (205-55) on my late 65 912 Coupe, kind of a hot rod on the 4 cyl side. On it I am running wheel spacers in the front and had to lightly roll the rear fender inner lip for clearance. All of these are stock SC 6 x 16 fronts. The dunlops have a shoulder at the bead to let the tire side wall set further out from the bead giving a good look and the tread flat with out ballooning round.
    can send you a couple of pics later if interested.

Best Regards

I know that green Mayo car......SLIME!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry L View Post
    I am running 215-50 16 on the Targa, Dunlop Direzza. I like a lot of tire :-) they perform well on the highway as well as spirited drives. I also have 16's (205-55) on my late 65 912 Coupe, kind of a hot rod on the 4 cyl side. On it I am running wheel spacers in the front and had to lightly roll the rear fender inner lip for clearance. All of these are stock SC 6 x 16 fronts. The dunlops have a shoulder at the bead to let the tire side wall set further out from the bead giving a good look and the tread flat with out ballooning round.
    can send you a couple of pics later if interested.

Best Regards
    Jerry-

Thanks for that info. The tires look nice and I like the price point. Have you ever had an issue with the tires rubbing against the Targa or is there enough clearance? I suppose they fit since you didn't mention needing to roll the inner fender as on the 912.

Photos would be helpful if that is not a hassle.

According to my "Porsche Classic Technical Certificate", my car was originally equipped with Dunlops and runs Dunlop SPs now. The Direzzas would keep things in the family.

HH