Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R Gruppe 2007 San Luis Obispo

R Gruppe 2007 San Luis Obispo

I just purchased a viper green 73 RS clone. It came with a R Gruppe 2007 San Luis Obispo sticker on the rear window. I've got some questions if any R Gruppe member could reach out.

Thanks

Scott

Attachment 605257
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 10-24-2023 at 11:43 AM.

Welcome and best of luck with your new car! As you’ll need 10 posts before you can PM, please share your email or phone/text numbers so that others may reach out.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Quote Originally Posted by scottjk View Post
    . . . just purchased a viper green 73 RS clone. It came with a R Gruppe 2007 San Luis Obispo sticker on the rear window. I've got some questions if any R Gruppe member could reach out . . .
    Another threade . . .
    https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...pe-Treffen-SLO

We Can Be Heroes

Thumbs up

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...pe-Treffen-SLO

Thanks for the link Rick ...

Here's the shot I posted of Scott's car at the '07 North meets South 356 show Treffen side trip ....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Not sure if by 'Scott's car' you mean me or another Scott. My car doesn't have a cage or those seats and has black Fuchs with satin rings. Might have changed over time. Sure would like some history because it's a little foggy.

My first concern/question is about the R Gruppe sticker. I read an exchange when this was on BAT in 2020 that someone was offended that this car wore the R Gruppe sticker when the owner wasn't a R Gruppe member. So before I start peeling stickers off my windows I need to figure out what is what. I'm haunted by visions of Hell's Angels coming after me to burn the R Gruppe tattoo off my back and take their sticker back. How do I become a pledge?

scottjkdal@yahoo.com

Here are the current photos of my car. Semi current actually a couple years old from an East Coast broker.

Name:  Used-1983-Porsche-911-73-RS-Backdate-SC.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  129.2 KB[ATTA
    CH=CONFIG]605291[/ATTACH]Name:  Used-1983-Porsche-911-73-RS-Backdate-SC (2).jpg
Views: 248
Size:  90.4 KB

I believe this sticker was the R Gruppe sticker in question. It is no longer on the car as the selling agent on BAT took it off. The San Luis 2007 sticker is still on the back window.

Name:  Used-1983-Porsche-911-73-RS-Backdate-SC (3).jpg
Views: 223
Size:  50.1 KB

I say to hell with the Hells Angles keep the sticker its part of the cars history.
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

Wp0aa0911ds120316

Quote Originally Posted by scottjk View Post
    . . . My car doesn't have a cage or those seats and has black Fuchs with satin rings. Might have changed over time. Sure would like some history because it's a little foggy.

. . . I read an exchange when this was on BAT in 2020
    . . .
    '. . . 1983 Porsche 911SC coupe has been modified in the style of a 1973 911 RS with replacement body panels in Viper Green, black Carrera stripes, and a simplified interior featuring RS-style bucket seats with green tartan inserts. Power is from a 3.0-liter flat-six paired with a 915 five-speed transaxle, both of which are said to have been rebuilt 5k miles ago. Other modifications include a Dansk exhaust system, lowered suspension, and 17″ Braid wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport tires. The bulk of the work was carried out prior to the previous owner’s acquisition in 2016, and the car was purchased by the selling dealer in July 2019. This RS tribute is offered with a spare wheel, a tool roll, a fire extinguisher, and a clean New Jersey title . . .

The long-hood conversion was reportedly carried out using a steel hood and fenders by Foreign Specialties of Manville, New Jersey before a glass-out repaint in Viper Green with black stripes. The car also features fiberglass RS-style bumper covers and an engine lid with a fiberglass ducktail spoiler as well as backdated window trim, mirrors, and door handles. Rubber hood and engine cover closures have been fitted along with H4 headlamps and Italian-market rear turn indicator lenses.

. . . car rides lower than stock over staggered-width Fuchs-style 17″ wheels from BRAID that feature polished lips, black centers, and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires with 2015 date codes. The lowered suspension is said to have been fitted with replacement bushings, and red Koni shocks are seen at the rear wheels. A walk-around video has been provided by the selling dealer . . .

. . . interior features high-backed bucket seats from GTS Classics upholstered in black leatherette with green tartan inserts. Lightweight carpets and black vinyl door cards were added, and the windows were converted to manual operation. The motorized factory sunroof was retained, while the air conditioning system and rear seats were deleted. A fire extinguisher is mounted on the passenger-side floor.

. . . black Momo Prototipo steering wheel frames stock 911SC gauges including a rotated tachometer and a 160-mph speedometer. The six-digit odometer reads 5k miles, with total mileage unknown. The selling dealer has driven approximately 200 miles over the last nine months.

. . . 3.0-liter flat-six is said to have been rebuilt with performance camshafts and upgraded chain tensioners before being tuned by PowerTech of Rockaway, New Jersey. The fuel-injection system was also overhauled and tuned. An oil change was performed in preparation for the sale . . .

. . . five-speed 915 gearbox was reportedly disassembled and fitted with a short shifter at the time of the engine rebuild. A front-mount oil cooler and a twin-tipped Dansk exhaust system with heat exchangers were also fitted
    . . .'

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...kdate-1973-rs/

We Can Be Heroes

Thanks for the link. I do have all that information but that's as far back as it goes. I'm assuming that the actual R Gruppe meeting photo above is my car? Does anyone know who the original R Gruppe member/owner is?

My information is leading me toward Precision Built Porsche of Vancouver BC as the original builder which is no longer in business. Any information about them would be appreciated... Good or Bad... I just want to know what I've just bought. Then it moved to the East Coast sometime around 2015-2017 where Foreign Specialties in NJ did body and paint work. I spoke to them and they verified the work. What I don't know is anything about the 3.0 CIS engine. Compression readings were good when it sold on BAT in 2020. Runs good now except for cold start and a slight oil leak which is actually endearing to me as my previous 1983 SC did the same.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    '. . . 1983 Porsche 911SC coupe has been modified in the style of a 1973 911 RS with replacement body panels in Viper Green, black Carrera stripes, and a simplified interior featuring RS-style bucket seats with green tartan inserts. Power is from a 3.0-liter flat-six paired with a 915 five-speed transaxle, both of which are said to have been rebuilt 5k miles ago. Other modifications include a Dansk exhaust system, lowered suspension, and 17″ Braid wheels with Michelin Pilot Sport tires. The bulk of the work was carried out prior to the previous owner’s acquisition in 2016, and the car was purchased by the selling dealer in July 2019. This RS tribute is offered with a spare wheel, a tool roll, a fire extinguisher, and a clean New Jersey title . . .

The long-hood conversion was reportedly carried out using a steel hood and fenders by Foreign Specialties of Manville, New Jersey before a glass-out repaint in Viper Green with black stripes. The car also features fiberglass RS-style bumper covers and an engine lid with a fiberglass ducktail spoiler as well as backdated window trim, mirrors, and door handles. Rubber hood and engine cover closures have been fitted along with H4 headlamps and Italian-market rear turn indicator lenses.

. . . car rides lower than stock over staggered-width Fuchs-style 17″ wheels from BRAID that feature polished lips, black centers, and Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires with 2015 date codes. The lowered suspension is said to have been fitted with replacement bushings, and red Koni shocks are seen at the rear wheels. A walk-around video has been provided by the selling dealer . . .

. . . interior features high-backed bucket seats from GTS Classics upholstered in black leatherette with green tartan inserts. Lightweight carpets and black vinyl door cards were added, and the windows were converted to manual operation. The motorized factory sunroof was retained, while the air conditioning system and rear seats were deleted. A fire extinguisher is mounted on the passenger-side floor.

. . . black Momo Prototipo steering wheel frames stock 911SC gauges including a rotated tachometer and a 160-mph speedometer. The six-digit odometer reads 5k miles, with total mileage unknown. The selling dealer has driven approximately 200 miles over the last nine months.

. . . 3.0-liter flat-six is said to have been rebuilt with performance camshafts and upgraded chain tensioners before being tuned by PowerTech of Rockaway, New Jersey. The fuel-injection system was also overhauled and tuned. An oil change was performed in preparation for the sale . . .

. . . five-speed 915 gearbox was reportedly disassembled and fitted with a short shifter at the time of the engine rebuild. A front-mount oil cooler and a twin-tipped Dansk exhaust system with heat exchangers were also fitted
    . . .'

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...kdate-1973-rs/

BAT Comment Thread during 2020 Sale ** If Oilersguy** is on this forum please contact me if you would.

3/19/20 at 11:41 AM

Oilersguy This author's likes: 2

If you go to PrescisionBuilt Porsche Facebook page and go to photos, you can see what they were doing a few years ago. The build of this car is on there. Motor was rebuilt at that time. I was looking at their cars back then and was going to buy this one before it went to NJ…..it is a beauty.