Thread: 1965 911 trim and engine lid decals, wiring loom.

1965 911 trim and engine lid decals, wiring loom.

I am trying to rebuild a 1965 USA spec. 911.
    It has not got its original steering wheel and horn push . What should it be ?
    The engine lid has lost its decals. Should they be silver or Gold ?
    The original wiring loom has been replaced with a later version with all the multi pin connectors for the lights though inner wings . The holes are now too big, what size should they be presumably with grommets?
    Is a 10 pole fuse box correct ?
    What goes in the oblong hole through the drivers side scuttle ? Is there some kind of multi pin connector ?
    Any help greatly appreciated pictures would be fantastic!!!
    Peter

As far as the decals go, it all depends on how early your car is. The real early '65s only had the one decal on the air filter. The later cars had decals on the bang panel. The decals will be gold with red borders. The decal on the snorkel will show firing order and valve clearances. The only other decal will be the one on the Bendix fuel pump if you have one. When they changed I can't recall. There is a thread on here about the differences between the early and later cars. It should be easy to find. The steering wheels are wood. The real early cars had aluminum spokes while later cars were steel. Both are pretty hard to find and will cost you a few dimes... Here's a pic of my engine compartment, the decal has faded but is the original.

Name:  IMG_6384.jpg
Views: 225
Size:  115.5 KB (Sorry the decal washed out because of the flash. Aase Sales has a decent selection of repop decals...

https://www.aasesales.com/collection...m66-62g-108611

Cheers and Good Luck with the restoration!

SWB, Nothing better....
    CraigF #2695

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by highplace View Post
    I am trying to rebuild a 1965 USA spec. 911.
    It has not got its original steering wheel and horn push . What should it be ?
    The engine lid has lost its decals. Should they be silver or Gold ?
    The original wiring loom has been replaced with a later version with all the multi pin connectors for the lights though inner wings . The holes are now too big, what size should they be presumably with grommets?
    Is a 10 pole fuse box correct ?
    What goes in the oblong hole through the drivers side scuttle ? Is there some kind of multi pin connector ?
    Any help greatly appreciated pictures would be fantastic!!!
    Peter
    It would help a lot if you posted your chassis number. A car built late in CY 1965 will be different from one built early in CY 1965.

Rear Deck Lid

The emblems on the rear deck lid should be gold:

Name:  143369.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  13.4 KB
    901 559 305 20 [pin spacing 53 mm]
    901 559 305 21 [pin spacing 49 mm]

Name:  124022.jpg
Views: 205
Size:  8.1 KB

The emblem on the glove box should be silver:

Name:  124033.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  10.5 KB
    901 559 303 20

Snorkel Sticker

I used the snorkel sticker from Car-Bone because I thought the printing was closer to the original although the material is thinner than original.

Here's an original:

Name:  Snorkel_Original.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  84.0 KB

Wiring

Yes, early 911s have wiring and connectors; wiring gets routed through panels. With no detail on your car, no pictures, and a very terse description I can't comment on specific connectors.

Here are some firms which make early Porsche wiring harnesses:

I haven't personally dealt with them.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 01-27-2021 at 08:27 AM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Here's a page from an April 1965 brochure showing an aluminum-framed steering wheel and "hockey puck" horn button:

There's an obvious visual difference between a steel-framed and an aluminum-framed steering wheel: you can see bare aluminum on the inside of the aluminum steering wheel. The steel frame is completely covered with wood.

The aluminum-framed wheels were known for vibrating and breaking easily.

Horn Buttons

The vast majority of Model Year 1965 911s have "hockey puck" horn buttons but by Model Year 1966 a fancier horn button was standard on the 911 and optional on the 912. Here's a page from a September 1965 (Model Year 1966) Accessories Catalog showing these options in a 912:

Name:  9265.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  93.7 KB
    Photo courtesy Charlie White

At the moment I can't recall if this is called the "butterfly" or the "batwing" horn button (my car has a "hockey puck").
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet