Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original lower dashboard trim

Original lower dashboard trim

Information I have states that 1967-1971 cars that have vinyl upholstery on the lower dashboard all have black basket weave vinyl. The only exception is the 1968 911S and 911L which may have had black elephant hide.

The first time colors that matched the door panels (black, tan, brown) were used is the 1972-1973 cars with leather grain vinyl.

1) Correct?

2) Is elephant hide (below) a chronological thing? Cars that I have photos of are early 1968 MY.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Hi Brett, and happy new year to you ... my december 3 1967 built 9/11L Targa has elephant hide...

In the S version elephant hide also on the seats?
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

Have photos of it both ways -- this car isn't. I cropped out the door panels to keep this about dashboard vinyl -- and this car has red upholstery with black dashboard.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Johnson View Post
    Have photos of it both ways -- this car isn't. I cropped out the door panels to keep this about dashboard vinyl -- and this car has red upholstery with black dashboard.
    yes 67 was the first basket weave year
    as far as i understand elephant was only available for a few month in MY 68.

brett, wouldn't your 1968 911 have a handle that is too narrow for the ashtray (1968) in the picture? regards

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Johnson View Post

2) Is elephant hide (below) a chronological thing? Cars that I have photos of are early 1968 MY.
    Brett,

Yes, the elephant hide dash was a chronological thing.

I think that almost all, if not all, of the 1968 MY 911L and 911S cars built in 1967 had black elephant hide on the dash. My 911L euro targa was completed on 12/28/67 with elephant hide on the dash. I've never come across a 1968 MY 911S or 911L built in 1968 with elephant hide on the dash.

-Eric

Piling on -- Both of the cars I have photos of with elephant hide are August -- first month 1968 MY -- but Bob J. above has one from December.

Glove boxes and ash trays are becoming my new favorite things. They seem to have problems understanding when the model year starts. I have a lovely early 1971 911S with a 1970 glove box door (different lock location!) and two with leftover ash trays, like this one. I have one on a 1967 too!

my 1968 911L did have basketwave.

regards

uwe

thats what i meant with the fist month of MY 68...changeover in dec or jan(there is a thread about this topic )

off topic:webasto summary is in the works