Thread: Un-flaring

Un-flaring

My ‘73 T had flares added to the arches at some point in its life. I want to restore to narrow body. Would it be regarded more “authentic” to just cut the flares out and weld back normal arches or better to replace each quarter panel (using replacement Porsche parts). The existing panels are in ok shape but I will probably need to buy new quarters in any case to replace the cut away section. Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by TGA73 View Post
    My ‘73 T had flares added to the arches at some point in its life. I want to restore to narrow body. Would it be regarded more “authentic” to just cut the flares out and weld back normal arches or better to replace each quarter panel (using replacement Porsche parts). The existing panels are in ok shape but I will probably need to buy new quarters in any case to replace the cut away section. Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
    have been through this..customer wanted it this way since he had original cut off arches(and only the "press fit" dansk parts where available at this time)....not a great fan of having super long weld on the outer skin but it`s doable.(i actually was surprised how smooth the hole operation went...`just dont rush when welding
    in the end there will be more filler needed (not a big fan of this eighter).
    BTW i would not cut the arches from the new panels--you never know if they fit correctly..go for used ones in great shape..they can be found.

replacing the hole q-panel also brings you to the point of what to do with the C-pillar(unless it`s a targa)..where to cut to avoid long welds..or will the rain gutter look nice .
    if you are/have an excellent body guy he should be able to perform both ways nicely.

listen to your gut feeling
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thank you. You raise some good points. Luckily it is a targa so the rear would be a bit easier than a coupe. I certainly want minimise the amount of filler. Is there that big a difference between original panels and current Porsche panels. I know other items are not like the original but are the panels that bad? Although not trying to be “concourse”, RHD long hood targas were only made for one year and not that common so want to make sure I’m at least trying to follow “best practice”.
    Thanks again and looking forward to hearing more experiences or thoughts.

dansk overworked there tools and it is said the q-panels now fit better...never needed one so far so i can`t tell if thats true...

reading that your car is a targa and you certainly want to minimize filler...go for new panels.