Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Door beams 1973

Door beams 1973

MY 1973 or calendar year 1973? Service Bulletin or dealer info preferred.

Calendar year. See #9 in the picture.

Also note that the real reason for moving the oil tank back to the rear is listed in #1.

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-01-24 at 4.51.23 PM.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  91.2 KB
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    . . . the real reason for moving the oil tank back . . .
    Thanks for that, Arne

I never bought the 'attendants put gas in by mistake' nonsense . . .

. . . I mean --- just look at where the release is located

We Can Be Heroes

Thanks! Sorry a reply that says just "thanks!" is too short to post -- and it deleted it the first time...

Quote Originally Posted by LongRanger View Post
    Thanks for that, Arne

I never bought the 'attendants put gas in by mistake' nonsense . . .

. . . I mean --- just look at where the release is located
    Exactly. I always wondered... was that really the reason Porsche gave up on this? I mean, seriously. How was it possible?

The oil and fuel fillers are on the opposite sides of the car. The oil filler lid is opened by a release button in the right side door jamb. The underside of the filler lid and the filler cap itself were well-marked as "OIL". The filler opening is partially obstructed by the dipstick.

So for this to happen, the owner would need to pull up to the wrong side of the pump, and get out of the car and open the passenger door to open the lid. Once the lid was open, the attendant would need to ignore the word "OIL" in three places, and pull the dipstick out to be able to insert the nozzle.

Seemed like quite a house of cards to me. Any minimal amount of attention by either the driver or the attendant would prevent mis-fueling. I'm not saying it never happened, but I'm guessing that it didn't happen very often. Certainly not often enough or soon enough that Porsche would almost immediately ditch a feature that had a measurable benefit.

I spent a fair amount of time researching, to try to figure out if there was a more believable reason.

The "safety standards" involved were probably the same side impact regulations that prompted the door beams.
    - Arne

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Yeh, well -- I suspect that the other was also true and there were $$$$ warranty consequences. They would not have made a written statement about that now would they?

This was also the time when full service was still normal at gas stations. 356 people know about front hoods kinked by uninformed service station attendants that didn't understand the unique German-engineered front hood hinges.

I'm just saying that I don't have to go that far to hear that story. My father has the bills for that repair that the gas station paid him. And in which there is also a WHOLE egg in the gas tank x) Today we know who was the cause of things. One, the carelessness of the one who put the gasoline and another ... A "carelessness" of my sister when she was "little" !! Surprisingly in both cases, the thing "ended" well! ... What would have happened to that engine if they had started it with gasoline in oil or with broken eggs in gasoline xD I hope it doesn't sound like a movie or a joke. But it's true !

I've never claimed that it NEVER happened, but I don't think it happened all that often. And I really doubt that Porsche would cover mis-fueling under warranty anyway.
    - Arne

The problem of misuse the 72 oil filler is still well known here in Stuttgart.
    Driving my Ölklappen quite often around Stuttgart, older man stating after have seen the oil flapper:
    Oh, eine Ölklappe. Da haben nicht wenige Tankwarte Benzin eingefüllt. Nach nem Jahr war das wieder weg. Nur Probleme und Motorschäden.

I wonder what the actual written safety standards are of which they speak? Great document!
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100