Thread: 1968 gas tank

1968 gas tank

Forgive me it this has been previously discussed -- I tried looking for a thread.

In 1968 the front of the raised area where the spare tire sits was angled so that the wheel would not be pushed into the gas tank but would deflect upward in a front collision.

Is this a 1968 model year or a 1968 calendar year change? Or something else?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Always wondered why they did that.

John
    1959 356 Coupe, 1600 Super, sold
    1960 356 Roaster, race car, SCCA, sold
    1960 356 Roadster, show car, sold.
    1962 356 Cab, show car, sold.
    1965 911 #301111, Red Book Vol 1 "Cover Car," owned 54 years.
    1967 911 #307347, bare-bones, some road wear, a little surface rust, and a few dents..., owned 14 years.
    1970 914/6GT, (Sold - ran the last three Rennsports)owned 30 years.

Photography Site: JohnStraubImageWorks.com

Registry #983
    R Gruppe #741

I thought it was to make the wider wheels easier to slide in.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

First response 9/4/67 has the early style. Could use some later 1967 examples.

never heard about this ..i`d rather think(like Ed) this is to get the 5,5 wheels (introduced with MY68) in and out(more helpfull for getting it out) easier....btw there is also a flat surface on the reinforcement bracket on the front slam panel that serves the same purpose IMHO.(not sure if this was introduced in 68 ) there is a bulletin that describes all extra safety measures introduced with MY68...no mention of the collission thing..

as for the flat spot tank--yes thats a 68- thing

Later style with the slope in 11860141 completed 12/28/67.

Good, how about a few in between?

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    never heard about this ..i`d rather think(like Ed) this is to get the 5,5 wheels (introduced with MY68) in and out(more helpfull for getting it out) easier....btw there is also a flat surface on the reinforcement bracket on the front slam panel that serves the same purpose IMHO.(not sure if this was introduced in 68 ) there is a bulletin that describes all extra safety measures introduced with MY68...no mention of the collission thing..

as for the flat spot tank--yes thats a 68- thing
    Dr J is correct on reason according to Paul Frère who in addition to being a successful race driver was a respected author/journalist known to have good factory connections and inside knowledge

Name:  BDFF35A6-5DD4-4C2C-B675-16133F85A096.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  28.1 KB

Source: Porsche 911 Story Frère . Probably a fact in all editions but this was in the 1982 reprint which is the first of the editions that came to hand. He mentions the change was in course of development and “summer” the phrasing appears to be a quite deliberate point specifically around shape of tank/ wheel in event of a crash being made by Frère that seems to suggest particular knowledge or briefed about thar safety concern at the time?

The metal work of the front panels around the latch support area were modified but that was in 1973 model year (F series). At that time reason stated was to allow the spare wheel and jack to be positioned / accommodated more easily — but that was about five years later. I suspect the 73 modification to any sheet metal especially if it involved changing the typically costly press tools at such a late stage in the long-hood lifecycle and so close before the imminent G series facelift design that would’ve been underway might also have been related to some of the known 73 changes for crash safety. I have no evidence for that hunch! Having signed-off engineering (and tooling changes) when I was director in automotive engineering industry the timing of the 73 model change seems curious if done just for a relatively low priority (convenience) vs a high priority safety critical issue — unless tooling was worn out and/or change deemed worthwhile for panel replacements for the repair network. However we do know that slots appeared in the front slam during 73 model year and the curious unexplained small flat raised rectangle on the rear slam appeared later by April ? during model year 73 so something was afoot front and rear metalwork quite late in long-hood life. We can only go by what authors with access to factory records / factory staff note as justification for such changes, unless in model 73 there was a bulletin issued? I’ve seen Arne sheets (and others for outside USA as some specs for other markets differed not least being rest of world didn’t get the door intrusion bar required in USA !). Is there more depth beyond the sales talking point summary that was just a heads up for non technical retail Porsche Audi sales people in training.

As always open to learn from the experts who might know more and those with hard evidence — this is just a little hobby interest for me as don’t work with old Porsches for a living.

I suspect Dr J would like to narrow the Summer tank change down to a month based on unmolested examples if these cars exist?

Steve
    Last edited by 911MRP; 01-28-2021 at 08:55 AM.