Thread: 930 demolish or restore?

930 demolish or restore?

I inherited a 1977 930 (my dream model) but was told to trash the car by a restoration place because it had non-factory welds under the floor mats and in the front trunk near the front wheel wells that suggested it was pieced back together after a bad wreck (maybe two wrecks). My father in law had the car since the mid-80's and never wrecked it, but maybe he bought a bad car. The restorer is offering to buy the car from me for parts. He seems honest and he has supplied plenty of photos - he said these sorts of repairs were relatively common, but it just isn't a safe car anymore. Just don't want to make a mistake a this is part of the estate.
    Any thoughts? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Restoration newbie.
    Funny how the same guy who is telling you it's worthless wants to buy it "for parts"

Kind of like asking the fox to estimate how many hens you have.

Make sure you get a second opinion on this, and take a look at some of the cars that have been saved, they aren't making any more early 930 widow-makers.

andy
    67S in pieces
    EarlyS: 1358
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seems to me that if it hasn’t come apart in the over 30 years your father in-law drove it the welds must have been done well.
    1969 911S
    1969 Datsun 2000...worth less, but more valuable

1- If your mechanic tells you it is unsafe, thank him and tell him you'll auction it. See his reaction.
    2- If it has been driven for 30 years as is and has a clean title, keep doing exactly that.
    3- Don't sell it. You WILL get lowballed.

Drive it, and make sure to drive it by your mechanic every few weeks, honk your horn!

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium-inc View Post
    Drive it, and make sure to drive it by your mechanic every few weeks, honk your horn!

---Adam
    And roll the window down and wave!
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

Some mechanics just do this, convince people they are screwed, and then offer to help them out, and take the crap car off of their hands.
    I sold a 70S several years ago, nice car. I made the mistake of saying it was rust free. I crawled all over that car and found not a dot of rust, so felt pretty confident. The guy who bought it called me a few weeks after he got and said his mechanic said the car was a POS and should be "cut up for spares". I was really confused. He said they found significant rust. Apparently the mechanic was hard on the hard from the minute it arrived and proceeded to take a grinder and grind all the undercoating off the underside and AA-HAH, he found rust! Behind the sway bar mount he found 2-3 dime sized rust spots and declared the car a total wreck, needed to be cut up, etc. He offered to take it off the guys hands for half of what he paid and the guy wanted me to give him half his money back so he would be whole. I politely told him he needed to find a new mechanic and offered him $2000 back to cover the spots I didn't know about. Nope, he wanted half his money and said he was going to call his attorney.
    I felt bad, it was a really nice car. But it was probably ruined for him, I just hope he didn't sell it to his mechanic.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

would not be a bad idea to measure the car.... With borescope in the rocker, check to see how/if the inner pieces were welded .maybe not just the outer visible areas were welded, maybe new rockers were placed.
    no doubt some were on the front window pillar it was welded. did they cut an access window so that they could weld the inner pieces as well..... obviously if non of these things were done ..... as long as the car measures correctly , you could redo these areas to make the car structurally sound.

These guys claim to have the largest inventory of used Porsche parts in the US. I would assume they also buy cars that are deemed parts cars:

http://www.dcauto.com/about.php
    Brent
    '70 911S
    '68 TR250

Quote Originally Posted by BrentF View Post
    These guys claim to have the largest inventory of used Porsche parts in the US. I would assume they also buy cars that are deemed parts cars:

http://www.dcauto.com/about.php
    Yeah, they have a few...

---Adam