Thread: Targa Florio

Targa Florio

I was wondering if anyone on the forum attended the Targa Florio before 1973?

I was too young. 9 yrs old. And was in Los Angeles.
    I have seen some old videos.

If someone attended. Can you tell us a few stories?

I want to go to the some tribute races. Are they as good? Has anyone attended one?

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Thumbs up

Over here now Scott...

I'd love to know as well …
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Me too

Hi Scott,
    obviously we're the same age.
    In 1973 I was 9 years old too, and at the time I didn't know there was a Targa Florio.
    However, I already knew what a Porsche Targa was. Because I played with Matchbox cars and the Targa with the removable roof had already impressed me back then (and still does).
    A report from a contemporary witness would be really impressive.
    I'm curious!
    Golden greetings
    Andreas

Looking for the engine 6320484
    MY 1972 2.4S Targa
    MY 1973 T with gentle updates
    MY 1988 560 SL
    MY 1965 Giulia Super

Have a look at Targapedia.com. It has an incredible compilation on pictures arranged by year and marque. The pictures are then organized by car race number. Go to the end of each group and you will find pictures taken before and after each race that capture some great moments.

Yes, here you will find an amazing number of Targa Florio 1° to 61° race photos !

For example 51° Targa Florio 1967 Porsche:
    http://www.targapedia.com/album_targ...HE%20-%20.html

52° Targa Florio 1968 Porsche:
    http://www.targapedia.com/album_targ...HE%20-%20.html

And so on!

Enjoy!

Claudius

Here are a few great behind the scenes shots from 1968 and 1969.Name:  230 Porsche 907 L.Scarfiotti - G.Mitter f - Verifiche (3).jpg
Views: 194
Size:  61.9 KBName:  Porsche 908.02 - Hotel S.Lucia Cefalu' (13).jpg
Views: 201
Size:  82.7 KBName:  Porsche 908.02 - Hotel S.Lucia Cefalu' (12).jpg
Views: 205
Size:  43.9 KB

There is a good write up about Targa Florio and Porsche at

https://www.sports-purpose.com/stories/targa-florio

If you can read French he is à complete overview of the 1973 race, won by a Werk RSR, and which was the last Targa Florio run as part of the Welt Meisterschaft : https://porscheclubrsdefrance.com/re...a-florio-1973/

The best movie is the following one : made by the Swiss television https://www.rts.ch/play/tv/camera-sp...:video:4605766

Porsche Club RS de France is organizing a road trip to Sicilia paying a two days tribute to the TF. We will embark at Genoa Harbor on Friday April 30th sailing away to Palermo, and disembarking at Genoa harbor on Sunday May 9th. We will be on the TF Picolo on the 28th and 29th.

If you are interested just tell me.