Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Plating Cost

Plating Cost

Hello,
    I was curious as to how much this plating would cost. I heard a lot op people sending theirs off but never head how much it actually cost.

This is what I did today.

Anyone estimate what it is worth?
    Thanks

Name:  parts.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  114.7 KB

Probably $30 here in Texas. I pay by the pound for those kind of parts.

WOW, Wish I had that here. Nothing local that I found. At $30 a pound, that is a deal. I'd be sending mine out as well. However there is some satisfaction in doing it myself.

interested in what kit or instructions you are using. Seems straightforward, but also easy to mess up.
    - 1969 911T Ossi Blue #3981

Quote Originally Posted by Carl S. View Post
    WOW, Wish I had that here. Nothing local that I found. At $30 a pound, that is a deal. I'd be sending mine out as well. However there is some satisfaction in doing it myself.
    Are you using the Caswell system?

This is the Caswell system. I have about $425 in everything. There are a bunch of little things at the beginning but once you figure it out it works awesome and easy to do. I have it down to an easy sequence now. Still a lot of time involved.

The instructions are not 100% accurate. I would be happy to advise on what I do. Works well.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl S. View Post
    This is the Caswell system. I have about $425 in everything. There are a bunch of little things at the beginning but once you figure it out it works awesome and easy to do. I have it down to an easy sequence now. Still a lot of time involved.

The instructions are not 100% accurate. I would be happy to advise on what I do. Works well.
    I bought their system last year and spent a considerable amount of time trying to get a quality result I was happy with. As you said, their instructions aren't perfect and there was a lot of trial and error involved. In the end, I got to a quality level similar to your photos but ended up dumping the system anyway. My goal wasn't cost savings as I already get a good deal on this stuff, my goal was to be able to plate an emergency part one at a time without having to save up and send in my usual 2-3 pounds of plating. The Caswell system was just more trouble and more time consuming than it was worth for me. Good for you making it work for your circumstances.

A big benefit to the Caswell system in my opinion is not having to hand the stuff off to a shop for them to lose some of the small stuff. A shop that does good work and keeps track of it all is worth patronizing.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Yeah, after working out the bugs. it is very easy and will be convenient as I work through the car. I am working from front to back and restoring as I progress. I see a lot of people totally disassemble then restore as needed. I am going the opposite. I like that I can make any of of the required colors at will.

I think it works for the budget minded build.

The quality is Excellent!!!!

Been using their system for about three years I have the yellow, silver/blue and the black oxide love it, as suggested, sometimes you just need to do one or two parts real quick For real big quantities , I have a place here that does up to a hundred pounds for 150.00 Canadian most that I ever brought in was about 60 lbs and that was a lot

Thanks, Rick