Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another dipstick

Another dipstick

G'Day, could somebody please confirm if the correct 1968 dipstick (No.2) that I am about to order is actually physically longer in real life as the one I currently have on top (No.1)-which has been giving me a wrong reading for my 68 2.0 litre engine. I believe No.1 which originally came with my car is wrong and hence I need to purchase No.2. I just manipulated the 2 dipsticks in Photoshop to compare the approx. size.. Thanks a lot!

Name:  90110777000_Dipstick.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  63.6 KB

Here's mine.
    And a pic from the drivers manual.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    S Registry#2021

And I thought that this would be about someone who pulled a booboo Glad you got the right info on your dipstick

Thanks, Rick

Thanks very much! If anyone can be bothered posting the length dimensions of both dipsticks(from under the curved handle to the tip), it would be greatly appreciated. I don't have access to my car right now as I'm overseas. Cheers.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Be aware of 3 different 73-86 sticks. Early, late and later. Short one is 73, longer ones are G body.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks again MRAR....I can't believe I just noticed the blue ruler

Quote Originally Posted by gled49 View Post
    Be aware of 3 different 73-86 sticks. Early, late and later. Short one is 73, longer ones are G body.
    Oh dear.....thanks for this.

U definitely need #2 in your first post. #1 is 73 911.

Al, what oil tank is in your 912 conversion to a 6 cyl. Is the oil filter behind the filler neck, or forward of the filler neck? Can u take pictures and post them. G

Good question, I don't know and unfortunately I cannot check as I am away from my car and overseas...I do know when I stick the dipstick down into the filler neck, I feel no resistance and it's just straight down but the dipstick seems not long enough and provides the wrong reading and hence I was thinking of just getting a really long dipstick and chop it accordingly at the next oil change when I know the exact quantity of oil poured. No.2 is not long enough either...Thank you!