Thread: 71 T armrest removal

71 T armrest removal

I am trying to remove driver side door panel, the armrest had 3 recessed bolts/screws holding armrest on and I can't seem to find. the right size Allen to fit it, is it an Allen or torx and what size, obviously I am new to this, thanks, robb g

They start as Allen but I have seen some creative substitutes. If I recall it is 6mm, but would need to verify. The ones on the end can be easily seen with a flashlight.

Step #1 is to remove the map pockets. I think you can get away with just removing the rearward pocket that pulls out and is held in by an elastic strap. There is plenty of discussion on this board about that elastic strap and how to rig it correctly. My advice would be to buy a new strap and the plastic washer-thing that goes with it and install that as well. It needs to be frighteningly tight, and just a bit looser that that so that it stays open when pulled out. You can leave the map pocket attached by the lower plastic hinges if you like if you are just doing the armrest.

Step #2 (on the passenger side) is to remove the garnish rail.

Step # 3 remove 3x M6x10MM, part 900.119.013.02, there should also be a washer on each screw/bolt - accessed from the diagonal bottom of the armrest, one on either end, one in the middle. 2xM6x12MM secures the upper handle on the passenger side and their location should be self-apparent once you've taken the garnish rail off.

Also note that you need to gently pop out the plastic coupler from the door handle/release that is embedded in the armrest - it is a ball and socket.

The parts catalog is your friend. With a modicum of common sense most of the non-mechanical stuff is easily addressed through the parts illustrations.

http://dcautocatalog.com/illustration/index/483702581

If you discover incorrect hardware, just order replacements. Not expensive, and it goes together very easily with the correct screws/washers, etc. The new Porsche vapor barriers are also amazing, much better than the garbage bags that lined my doors.
    Last edited by RickWhite; 02-04-2021 at 06:59 PM. Reason: correct the link
    MBR #3926
    '71 911 T Targa "Rick White"
    '71 911 E "Karen"
    '70 S/T
    '16 CD
    '10 E61 "Vomit Comet"

Quote Originally Posted by RickWhite View Post
    Step #1 is to remove the map pockets. I think you can get away with just removing the rearward pocket that pulls out and is held in by an elastic strap. There is plenty of discussion on this board about that elastic strap and how to rig it correctly. My advice would be to buy a new strap and the plastic washer-thing that goes with it and install that as well. It needs to be frighteningly tight, and just a bit looser that that so that it stays open when pulled out. You can leave the map pocket attached by the lower plastic hinges if you like if you are just doing the armrest.

Step #2 (on the passenger side) is to remove the garnish rail.

Step # 3 remove 3x M6x10MM, part 900.119.013.02, there should also be a washer on each screw/bolt - accessed from the diagonal bottom of the armrest, one on either end, one in the middle. 2xM6x12MM secures the upper handle on the passenger side and their location should be self-apparent once you've taken the garnish rail off.

Also note that you need to gently pop out the plastic coupler from the door handle/release that is embedded in the armrest - it is a ball and socket.

The parts catalog is your friend. With a modicum of common sense most of the non-mechanical stuff is easily addressed through the parts illustrations.

http://dcautocatalog.com/illustration/index/483702581

If you discover incorrect hardware, just order replacements. Not expensive, and it goes together very easily with the correct screws/washers, etc. The new Porsche vapor barriers are also amazing, much better than the garbage bags that lined my doors.

thanks for the info Rick