Thread: 204 vs 911

204 vs 911

This week I decided to change a blown head gasket and timing chain on my '68 Peugeot 204 coupe... I had the parts on hand (ordered from France), and a copy of the factory service manual.
    It all came apart ok, and except for the failed gasket there was no real surprises (except for a chain tensioner that was locked).
    I cleaned up the valves and seats and replaced the valve seals, cleaned all the surfaces and fasteners and re-installed the head.
    I read through the cam timing procedure a number of times, and then again... I've been a mechanic for more than 30 years and have never come across such a vague method for timing a camshaft.
    So I thought I would do a google search for some more information... there is a 204/304 club in France, but no technical information there. The search was a blank, no images, no youtube videos, nothing.
    I re-read the instructions, and put the chain and tensioner on according to my best guess of what the images were showing, and how the valve actuation coincided with piston position.
    I cranked the engine over by hand a number of times without issue. Then jumped the starter and did a quick compression test, all cylinders normal... success.

Although more than a million and half Peugeot 204's were built over an 11 year production run from '65-'76, they were an entry level throw-away car that was prone to rust, so there aren't many left.
    As such, spare pieces, reproduction parts, and information is not so plentiful. But the one thing that stands out, is there is no worldwide community of enthusiasts sharing knowledge, expertise and whatever part one needs or wants.

We are very fortunate to have the early 911 community here that has been created by caring and passionate individuals and continues to grow.
    I value it more today than I did a week ago, and I look forward to the relatively easy hunt for information and anything else I need to get my '71 911 put back together.

IMG_5196.jpg

IMG_6420.jpg

IMG_3974.jpg
    Cheers,

Jones...
    early S # 2626
    '71 911T
    '05 BMW 330ci
    '22 Wills Sainte Claire
    '96 S10 truck

Thumbs up

Hell'of'a'post Jones..... I love it.... More adventures to come....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Nice little car that 204 Coupé, and not common at all, even here. Thank you for maintening her in good condition.

Hello,

Next time you have an issue with your French car, just ask some help. We're a couple of frenchies arround, and we might be able to provide some help!

Olivier.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    Hello,

Next time you have an issue with your French car, just ask some help. We're a couple of frenchies arround, and we might be able to provide some help!

Olivier.
    Thank you kindly Olivier, I appreciate the offer.
    Cheers,

Jones...
    early S # 2626
    '71 911T
    '05 BMW 330ci
    '22 Wills Sainte Claire
    '96 S10 truck