Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 911 2.2l S MFI Air Cleaner Housing: steel or plastic?

My October '69 produced 70S is metal air filter housing. You can tell plastic housing from 10 feet away.
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

I think the early '70's were metal , using left over parts , then the housings became plastic until early '71 and then were phased out . So there are '70's with metal , especially '70's that got a replacement metal because of a plastic melt-down and '71's with plastic .

I am not the original owner, but my 12/69 built '70 E is steel. Including air intake snorkle.
    David

911 S Registry # 1054
    1970 911 E Coupe Signal Orange (#1414)
    1979 BMW 320i
    2001 Boxster S
    2003 Audi Allroad 2.7T Tiptronic
    2014 Jetta Sportwagon TDI DSG ( sold back to Volkswagen)
    2015 Allroad 2.0 TFSI

Quote Originally Posted by Richy View Post
    I read Chuck's thread , lots of misinformation . I've seen many original cars . The 700 mile '70 911S - plastic air filter housing . 70 SATMan , are you absolutely sure your air filter is original or has it been replaced ?
    Air breather and snorkel is steel and original to the car but, I need to preface that with the fact that my car had factory AC and the snorkel is unique to the AC cars, coming off to the left of the engine compartment vs the right.

Makes me wonder if they made a left hooker snorkel in plastic for the AC cars or whether all the 70/71 AC cars had the steel breathers/snorkels. The unique factory AC parts aren't well documented that I've seen.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

So, it appears I'm now on the hunt for a correct steel non AC snorkel for my 70S. Having searched threads and read quite a bit to learn more about the AC snorkel I have, I've come across many mentions of the snorkel shape being different from 69-70 but, no mention of what the differences are or side by side comparisons.

I know about the 69-70 differences in the MFI air boxes themselves but, can anyone expand on the snorkels? Also, listing the Mann part numbers on the different snorkels in this thread would be helpful for future searches.

For instance, the AC snorkel from my MFI 70S, Mann PN: 45 120 85 235

Something else I never thought about really is how they're built. The Non AC are a two piece stamped and spot welded and the warm up tube is then spot welded (obvious flanges). The AC version has a welded elbow and the the nose is rolled one piece and spot welded with a lap. More production work that way but, I wonder why Mann didn't build them same as the non AC but, with rotated warm up tubes and wingnut flanges. Strange.
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586