Thread: porsche and the chevrolet corvair

porsche and the chevrolet corvair

Dear all,

as you might remember I had this nice find of the technical drawings and the nice little booklet of the owner.
    In this there had been the link to 2 drawings

„Einfederung Corvair“
    Size A2, 26.may 1961
    ID number 000.000.505.00

and

„Innenraum - Masze“
    Size A1, 31.may 1961, station wagon
    ID number 000.000.506.00

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...lists-drawings

Today I had a phone call with a chief editor of a german car magazine, from
    whom I knew he had for some years a Corvair convertable up to two years ago.
    He told me, that he was curious by himself to find out the „sibling“ story with the aircooled flat six from the US. So he called up Mr. Mezger, who immediately knew and openly told him about the purchase of Porsche of a Corvair, in order to study the engine and of course the car.

Questioned, if Porsche took over elements of the pushrod flat six, or if Porsche made copies of the aircooling method had been denied.

Interestingly, there must have been some more - one more thing - which unfortunatly sure is deep in the factory archive of both companies.

As I had a look at the article in the Excellence

https://www.excellence-mag.com/issue...gn-the-corvair

I found again the story about Chevrolet buying a 356 in order to fit in the flat six engine.

enjoy
    Last edited by haul; 02-09-2021 at 12:53 PM.
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

That is a great post Haul, I was a Corvair fan long before owning a Porsche... I had a '65 Corsa 140hp, and a '69 500, 140hp PG. I think the late model Corvair was one of the best vehicles GM produced in the 60's. Decent power and great handling, particularly at high speed, and unique styling. Plus, factory turbocharging available starting in 1962!
    It's unfortunate that the faults of the early cars (and Ralph Nader) affected the continued development and production of the Corvair. It would have been great to see the car and powertrain evolve.
    Cheers,

Jones...
    early S # 2626
    '71 911T
    '05 BMW 330ci
    '22 Wills Sainte Claire
    '96 S10 truck

Corvair predated Porsche with both the 6 cylinder boxer engine and turbocharging. I previously owned a pristine 1966 Corvair Corsa Turbo convertible (with factory A/C no less)

Screen shot 2011-04-30 at 8.06.34 PM (2).jpg
    Brent
    '70 911S
    '68 TR250

Surprising number of Corvair cars (and trucks) for sale on eBay. Haven’t seen one on the road for eons.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Got one in the neighborhood … Thumb's-up every time he goes by
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter