Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Starter Kit" for small wiring fixes

"Starter Kit" for small wiring fixes

All,

Could you recommend a source for OEM or similar spades, conduit, wire etc. for my old 911? There are a few crimps and assorted wiring changes that were made to the car that are just not right and I'd like to be able to eventually sort them. Do you have any favorite sources for common size spades, wire, conduit, etc. and recommendations for what I should start out with?

Thanks!

You could contact Steve Smith - he does wiring, harnesses and would likely be able to supply what you need?
    https://911highvoltage.com/

I also bought electrical wire, spades, etc. from https://www.sherco-auto.com/

Regardless of the specific problem at hand, whenever working on older wiring, one of the the handiest tools in your kit is a can/bottle of Liquid Electrical Tape. The brand is not important, as there are several, but the saving in time and effort and the increase in reliability accorded by this product is substantial.

Thanks for the advice so far. Good links to have. I just finished installing the two convenience lights in the frunk that were not part of the restoration. When I received the wiring harness from Kroon I was thinking how nice all the termination and wiring was for this small simple harness. I now want to remove some of the HomeDepot quality crimps with something much closer to what came from the factory. There are just a couple of these as most of the wiring is original, but once you see them...

You'll need the proper brass terminals, heat shrink and the proper crimping tool. The bare brass terminals have a 'W' crimp, then the heat shrink is slid over and shrunk down. You will now have a factory style wire end. Here is picture of terminal end and crimp. I get this from Wurth, but Bel-Metric is also a source (and others I'm sure)
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

At Kroon we have an enormous collection of all sorts of correct terminals, connectors and further electrical related stuff. If enough people would be interested we might consider making a "simple early 911/912 electrical repair set" containing all necessary terminals /small stuff/tape/neoprene sleeves etc to do simple electrical repairs. To get this going maybe you can make a small list of what you would like to be in this set? The crimping tools we use are quite expensive and calibrated on a regular basis. But for simple repairs the right "less expensive" tool can also do the job and crimp a terminal the right way. I look forward to your suggestions !

shipping

Quote Originally Posted by gerakroo View Post
    At Kroon we have an enormous collection of all sorts of correct terminals, connectors and further electrical related stuff. If enough people would be interested we might consider making a "simple early 911/912 electrical repair set" containing all necessary terminals /small stuff/tape/neoprene sleeves etc to do simple electrical repairs. To get this going maybe you can make a small list of what you would like to be in this set? The crimping tools we use are quite expensive and calibrated on a regular basis. But for simple repairs the right "less expensive" tool can also do the job and crimp a terminal the right way. I look forward to your suggestions !
    I would guess a number of folks will chime in with good ideas and a desire for this.

One hurdle is going to be the shipping cost to the US. Your products have legendary quality, but shipping small things is prohibitively expensive - for example the cheapest shipping option to send a $6 fuse box label to the US was 63 Euros / $80 when I tried to check out. A cheaper (if slower) way to ship to the US would certainly help many of us be be able to justify making more purchases from you.

Just my personal opinion.
    Last edited by TheTorch; 02-20-2021 at 04:48 AM. Reason: typo
    - 1969 911T Ossi Blue #3981

Gerard - count me in for your first person for a set! I think you guys know best what are the most common terminals in a 911 :-) I think a reasonably priced kit for something around $50-100 USD (maybe more depending on feedback) would be attractive to a number of people to have in their kit for that odd job. I agree about crimping tools. If you go with a ratcheting crimp tool with replaceable dies - ouch. I think one less expensive option would be Knipex 9721215B Crimping Pliers. Thank you Ed for pointing this out!

Torch - Kroon were able to ship my small wiring harness for the trunk light using a less expensive option Dutch post that only took a few days longer so maybe they could do that for this kit? I order tools from Germany and DHL seems to be very reasonable, but I'm not sure if they have the same pricing in the Netherlands.

+1 on getting a good crimp tool
    I have the Weidmüller Pliers in all 3 sizes and I love them.

Quote Originally Posted by uai View Post
    +1 on getting a good crimp tool
    I have the Weidmüller Pliers in all 3 sizes and I love them.
    and for the sleeves a Hellermann Dreidornzange