Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SWB steel wheel original valve stem and wheel weight info

SWB steel wheel original valve stem and wheel weight info

Is there anybody out there who might have an original steel spare? Doing some research on the type of valve stems and wheel weights used by the factory

TIA

JK

Quote Originally Posted by 718RSK View Post
    Is there anybody out there who might have an original steel spare? Doing some research on the type of valve stems and wheel weights used by the factory

TIA

JK
    Valve stem as in tubeless or tube? Might be (my guess) it were still tube tires in 65.

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Hi Richard,

Yes, I believe both Dunlops and Firestone Phoenix used 65/66 had inner tubes. I would be interested to see an original inner tube and especially the valve stem type used. Also still on the look out for some pictures of the type of wheel eights used.

Hi Joris,

Here are some photos of the original spare on my '65. I'm pretty sure it has never been dismounted and it has a tube style stem.

Name:  4921CC08-1AEB-4C2E-B1E8-9B547EB2EBE9.jpg
Views: 367
Size:  114.1 KBName:  336D2F1D-B99F-43A3-AAAA-AFDDCC09366B.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  98.5 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I doubt those wheel weights are original. They are SNUGL brand, which was (maybe still is) a US maker, and they are imperial size (1/2 oz.). I'd expect Porsche to have used metric sized weights.

Definitely period correct otherwise, as it appears to have been statically (bubble) balanced.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    I doubt those wheel weights are original. They are SNUGL brand, which was (maybe still is) a US maker, and they are imperial size (1/2 oz.). I'd expect Porsche to have used metric sized weights.

Definitely period correct otherwise, as it appears to have been statically (bubble) balanced.
    On a similar note, would the Germans have used Firestone tubes or say Metzler?

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

I noticed that on the weights. I have the receipt for the first replacement tires which were put on in '71 and were on the car when I got it. I suppose it's possible they balanced the spare when replacing the other four tires? However here's a photo of the back side. The two weights on the back are the same and in the same locations as the front. You can almost always see where a previous weight was installed on the paint but there is no mark from any previous weights which is interesting as surely it left the factory with some. But yes, I would have expected a metric weight.

Name:  19A5D300-DBA2-46D0-907A-083BF81E89FB.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  131.5 KB

Much older but here is the weight on a guaranteed unmolested '56 tire. It has both metric and imperial if that says anything.

Name:  30D25AD9-4DDF-4E2F-B0DA-6B0732713B1D.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  125.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by preS View Post
    On a similar note, would the Germans have used Firestone tubes or say Metzler?

Richard
    Just a note... the Firestone Phoenix was made in Germany.