Thread: 68 911 Engine Serial Number Hunt. Kardex

68 911 Engine Serial Number Hunt. Kardex

I am trying to locate the engine serial number on my 68 911.
    I have a Kardex and it it contains the number, however, I am unable to locate it no the block. I do not see any stamping of the serial number or engine code.

I am the 3rd owner. The original owner passed it to her Son in Law in 1976. It sat there until I purchased it. 51K miles and only 400 since 1976

I do not see why the serial number and engine code would be missing or even erased. Could it be a blank case?

I am trying to figure out exactly what car I have. The L model is an S but the lower HP engine and I have the vented rotors with steel calipers and s dust shields.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I touched it with a soft wire wheel to clean.
    Name:  IMG_3280[2].jpg
Views: 261
Size:  121.8 KB

Name:  11835269 Kardex.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  92.8 KB
    Last edited by Carl S.; 02-22-2021 at 10:28 AM.

This thread may help. Another 68 with a blank case. Looks like you may have a replacement case.

https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...lp-appreciated
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

Dang, Replacement case... The OD only has 51K on it.

The build date is March 4, 68 right during the alum/mag switch. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.

No longer a matching numbers car I guess- more research needed on this one. DANG!

Is there a type number stamped on the case? If replacement case probably no type number as it wouldn't be known what engine it was for.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

My '68 Sporto had vented rotors too. I want to say it was part of the Sporto package.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

Sporto Package, I will look into that next.
    I was hoping the Kardex would help but is only said Sportomatic.

I have not removed the engine so I cant tell if there is a number elsewhere. The Kardex has the correct engine number as I can cross it with the original maintenance book I have for it. So, there was a readable number somewhere. I might find it when I pull the engine.
    Again, I doubt this is a replacement case. But......

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Nope, number is where u r looking. Replacement case. Sporto is just that, it will take some effort to get it all sorted. Good work.

Unless the engine has a 914/6 set of numbers at the other end of the case.
    I believe the Sporto package did include S calipers since there was reduced engine braking. I am not certain of the 60's cars, but by 1970 the cars had model type #'s that served as a base specification for the car. The transmission was coded into this. So one of the more difficult aspects of figuring out what options your car has is to determine the base spec for the car. That is, what options were considered as standard equipment, and thus not listed as optional equipment. So for RHD cars the "option" was not consistently listed on the Kardex since it was assumed for the distributor/handler it was delivered through. Standard equipment was a constantly changing specification and not always well documented.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers