Thread: Hella 128 ID Help

Hella 128 and Hella Rally Map Light ID Help

Hello, could someone please help ID from what year this cool Hella 'Butler's Type Rally Map Light' is from? It has this amazing adjustable arm and the exceptional quality is just typical German from that period. I want to install it in my car 68 Targa but not sure where to screw the base of it.

Name:  IMG_20210224_103310.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  45.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20210224_103317.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  34.1 KB

Name:  IMG_20210224_103412.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  31.3 KB

The last 3 photos is a pair of 128 but not sure which version to use as the housings seems different including the material and the screw mounting points. The one on the left appears to be that the lens bezel is diecast and much heavier with the numbers stamped on the housing. The fit on the bezel is amazing despite its age. The 'V' lens came with the one on the left as well with the silver/grey plastic lens wraparound seal still intact but the 'yellow' reflectors are corroded. Thanks for any info!

Name:  IMG_20210224_103452.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  56.2 KB

Name:  IMG_20210224_103440.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  59.1 KB

[ATTACH=CONFIG]545r541[/ATTACH]
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by al agustin; 02-24-2021 at 01:28 AM.

Butler light mount

Al, on the left hand drive cars - sit in the passengers (right) seat - put your hand on the flat ledge just above the glove box door, below the padded dash cover. a few inches in from the door - it is a horizontal platform that will accept a Butler light base - the mount screws are vertical going into the trunk area and require a separate screw mount plate to receive the screws - i fabricated a over sized plate with captured nuts that held the light secure. The electic wire thru hole was covered by the Butler mount bracket. Investigate the trunk area if there is a comparable ledge in your right hand drive car. The space in the trunk is very limited so investigate and plan ahead prior to drilling. In the photo below (147) you can just make out the reflection of the Butler curved goose neck, dash mounted next to the door.

On your 128 lights - they mount from the top so the triangle drain hole should face down, is that a bottom mount light from a different car?
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Thanks for the mounting idea Bob! I'm not clear on your last question; 'is that a bottom mount light from a different car'?

Quote Originally Posted by al agustin View Post
    Thanks for the mounting idea Bob! I'm not clear on your last question; 'is that a bottom mount light from a different car'?
    The triangle drain hole is on the top when mounted in a 911 front bumper.

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

The Rallye Map Light is from the end of the 60ies/beginning 70ies. I have the same light since that time, never installed.

Drain hole on the bottom , Mounts from the top

The 128's used on the Porsche were different configuration from other cars, Hella made 128's with both top mounts or bottom mounts depending on which make of car it was used on.

Here is a 901/911 sample from 1964:

Note the mount is on the opposite side to the drain hole.
    Bob
    Early S Reg #370

Thanks for the help everyone!!! One final question, is there another bracket I need to source or purchase or does the Hella 128's simply bolt on straight onto where the stock fog light covers mount onto? Thanks again!