Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FS: @BaT - 500638S

Quote Originally Posted by moito View Post
    how much does BaT charge?
    Seller pays a fixed fee of $99 to post. Buyer pays a 5% premium, minimum of $250 and capped at $5000. So anything that tops $100k is a $5k fee to BaT.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

How many 67S softies built and how many left? Any thoughts? Seem to remember someone was researching this a few years ago....

Start at https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ght=targa+list. 718 total of S and normal. My uneducated guess would be between 200 and 225 survive. A lot of people refuse to give me either picture or VIN or both. Only other thing I have started to record is the production date. My argument is always that if it appears on the list nobody will try to make a fake version. Argument against is that I am verifying existence. I don't record tranny or engine numbers. Let the crooks at least pay for a Kardex.

Quote Originally Posted by doigthom View Post
    Start at https://www.early911sregistry.org/fo...ght=targa+list. 718 total of S and normal. My uneducated guess would be between 200 and 225 survive. A lot of people refuse to give me either picture or VIN or both. Only other thing I have started to record is the production date. My argument is always that if it appears on the list nobody will try to make a fake version. Argument against is that I am verifying existence. I don't record tranny or engine numbers. Let the crooks at least pay for a Kardex.
    Probably not a bad guesstimate. Maybe at best 30-40% of production in various states. Think about it, not a particularly weatherproof design and as succeeding models came out, why would you want a leaker, with 4.5" wheels and a 2.0L engine? All contributing to a high attrition rate
    Although at this price point more may come out from the shadows for restoration.

I had the polo red one that sold in 1967 at Gooding, Pebble Beach for $285,000, then, I believe, a record for 67S Targa. It too had some of Eric Linden's parts. Thankfully, because I do nearly all work myself, I had fractionally far, far less in the car than what it sold for than is the case for the magnificent green car at hand here. For comparison, here is a link to a portfolio of my car: https://goo.gl/photos/D5LLEwxMxAxzM3wJA

This one certainly brought a premium, but further bolsters my theory that the longhood market has "softened" only because the average quality has gone down and the volume has increased. Paint, interior, rings and valve grind ("engine rebuilt") does not constitute a resoration. True value of the core car + the cost of a comprehensive restoration puts your nose under water every time. You have to do it for the love.
    Tom F.

'67 911S Slate Gray
    '70 911T 2.8 hotrod (in progress)
    '92 964

Tip of the hat to Jim for the fabulous work...