Thread: Quality horn grilles LWB

Quality horn grilles LWB

I have just had delivered some new horn grilles for my 69 car and they are total rubbish…..look like they have been wrapped in Kit Kat foil - why do they bother?.?

Auto Foreign are out of them…….any ideas who does nice ones for my nice car….?

Thanks Matthew

None of the current offerings are great, IMHO. Some more acceptable than others but Eric's were the only ones that ever fit correctly. Absent him making them again, we're back to scrounging for good used ones. I've also seen originals done in new chrome but finding someone to work on pot metal can be a challenge.

I got one of Eric's last pairs for LWB. They are so nice. It's a shame that he can't sell them for enough to justify making another batch.

I have 5 originals (3 of one side, 2 of the other) that are possibly good enough to re-plate, if anyone knows of a shop that will undertake such work.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    I got one of Eric's last pairs for LWB. They are so nice. It's a shame that he can't sell them for enough to justify making another batch.
    I have a couple of Eric's sets and a couple NOS sets sitting on the shelf for future cars. I literally have to keep them in different boxes because I'm afraid if I mix them up I'll never be able to tell them apart!

Auckland, New Zealand. And Los Angeles, USA.
    Quote: “I got one of Eric's last pairs for LWB. They are so nice. It's a shame that he can't sell them for enough to justify making another batch.”

Well, I guess that serves us right!!! When someone takes the time, makes the effort & invests the money to produce a high quality item, then we should pay what they are worth!
    I doubt that the cost to copper and brass plate pitted pot-metal originals, prep, then chrome plate them would be cheaper. Certainly less convenient than buying them off the shelf from Eric.

Live & learn!
    Last edited by 911kiwi; 08-18-2021 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Typo
    Kiwi
    1972 911S
    1967 912
    1959 356A Conv D
    Early S Registry # 306

I dropped off a set of horn grilles at a shop in Ohio recently and got a quick tour of their operation--pretty impressive (at least to me), and they seemed very detail oriented about their work.

I'm hoping the parts will be finished up pretty soon, and I'll post pictures as soon as I have them back.
    Member #3857
    '70 911 2.7