Thread: grill engine badge removal?

grill engine badge removal?

What is the trick to removing the engine badge from the rear grill?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    LOOKING FOR 1967S TRANSMISSION #103586
    Looking For 1969T Engine #6195922
    Looking For 1969T Transmission #7194313

Looking for 1969T Transmission #7195495
    www.tcspeed.com

I believe it is riveted to the grill. Hard to get off without some damage, and holes left in the slats.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

2.4 = 911.559.015.00

Name:  Original2.4BadgeMount_800x600.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  454.6 KB

First thing I'd try is a heat gun to loosen the adhesive immediately under the top portion of the badge to separate it from the riveted base block, if you are looking at refreshing the badge that is. If the goal is to remove it completely from the grill then as Jimmy pointed out, you almost have to use a small dremel cut off wheel.

Years ago, I was successful in removing a badge from a grill without cutting. Took careful leverage but, I might have been lucky not to have a grill that that had significant swagging.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

i think those small pins were part of the original engine size badge. At the factory, the worker aligned the pins with the hole in the grill and pressed the badge on....a one way affair...never thinking someone would want to take it off many years later...I asked the question the other day of the person selling the original badge to see if it had the small pins...I wonder if the badges in the bins at the factory had pins and for everything else including even the original parts....NOT in the bins..there was just double backed padded tape...ie they just stuck them on...no pins

Quote Originally Posted by Dmill View Post
    i think those small pins were part of the original engine size badge. At the factory, the worker aligned the pins with the hole in the grill and pressed the badge on....a one way affair...never thinking someone would want to take it off many years later...I asked the question the other day of the person selling the original badge to see if it had the small pins...I wonder if the badges in the bins at the factory had pins and for everything else including even the original parts....NOT in the bins..there was just double backed padded tape...ie they just stuck them on...no pins
    I'll see if I can dig up the 2.4 badges I have to show you but, I still believe the badge is actually TWO parts. The flat base with pins that rivets to the grill and then the displacement part that attaches over the top of the flat base with two sided adhesive tape.

I am not saying the whole badge attaches to the grill with adhesive tape.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

I think you are correct...the base had the small pins and the displacement badge was glued in someway to the base