Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FS: @BaT - 67S 500551S

Totally agree Mike, or it could be - as in my case - kind of a frustration / exhaustion to argue (or "nitpicking" as they like to call it) with the people on BaT who always write "wow, what a great car!" or "bring tons of cash!" even if it's just something we would be really ashmed of to bring to a cars & coffee....
    Mike, member #841

Quote Originally Posted by mike66 View Post
    Totally agree Mike, or it could be - as in my case - kind of a frustration / exhaustion to argue (or "nitpicking" as they like to call it) with the people on BaT who always write "wow, what a great car!" or "bring tons of cash!" even if it's just something we would be really ashmed of to bring to a cars & coffee....
    Yup... the peanut gallery on BAT doesn't want to hear it. And they will belittle those who bring anything that's considered negative. There's regular posters who quite clearly don't want these details pointed out, and I'm wondering if they are paid by BAT to belittle those who are "nitpicking" the cars.

I got "put into my place" by a number of BAT regular posters for pointing out the details on the Bahama Yellow 67S coupe a few weeks ago. Now I'm conversing with the buyer of that car to help him straighten out a few issues.... go figure. That car is very nice imho except for the details, many of which are correctable.

e

Eric, Agree with you 100%. This seems to becoming a pattern of BaT. It looks like the same people drinking the koolaid on a 71 911T currently on BaT which the Seller claims is 10k original miles example, despite no real documentation and a bad re-paint. Hard for me to understand how BaT does not require Sellers to back up their claims. Certainly I understand that BaT makes more money by having the cars they post get bid up to the max price. But the value of the website is the user base. The bidders are the ones paying the 5% commission, not the Seller. They only receive a hundred dollars for posting on behalf of the seller. Business 101 teaches you that it's the person paying you the most who is the client. BaT seems to have forgotten this.

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Yup... the peanut gallery on BAT doesn't want to hear it. And they will belittle those who bring anything that's considered negative. There's regular posters who quite clearly don't want these details pointed out, and I'm wondering if they are paid by BAT to belittle those who are "nitpicking" the cars.

I got "put into my place" by a number of BAT regular posters for pointing out the details on the Bahama Yellow 67S coupe a few weeks ago. Now I'm conversing with the buyer of that car to help him straighten out a few issues.... go figure. That car is very nice imho except for the details, many of which are correctable.

e

Interesting that the '67 green car is now the gold standard. The engine was enlarged, no seat surrounds, late model window frames etc., etc. The presentation and the shiny object appear to dictate price in the sales that I follow. As such this car should do okay. Not our job to educate the prospective buyers. Criticism should be limited to this site. If the prospective buyer knows about the ESR and buys anyway or overpays, good on him. He knows what he is getting and how to correct. If a buyer does not do his research and buys on the shiny object theory might just be the proverbial fool parting with his money.

Noted something on usual in that they say roof mechanism was damaged making it difficult to take the roof off. Difficult or impossible? Don't see any pics with the roof off or did I miss something. Also to be particularly arcane, the targa supplement is for a '68. '67 is shit brindle - ;68 orange. Second page probably says 912, 911 and 911L
    Last edited by doigthom; 03-15-2021 at 01:55 PM.

I barely looked at this car but I see - late floor pan replacement panel with the big lump, rockers were done with the old Dansk incorrectly made rocker panels (I’ll toot my own horn as I got Resto Design to make the proper ones out of my NOS stuff 5 years ago, hats off to them). The sports seats are LWB, the paint is obvious. There is enough to pass on it if you wanted a top notch car, it could be made right to a degree.

The green car was not the gold standard, it’s was good no doubt, in fact I see many record breaker sales usually have a top model often in shiny turd condition and a boat load of luck comes along to make the price, often difficult to reproduce but sometimes it pushes the whole market. My friend sold a 71 MBZ 3.5L cab at RM, they were going for $200k, his did $420k (he was shocked) and his car was not that nice, for the next 6 months all the 3.5 cabs were $400k and then they came back down to the old price.

BAT audience is like a room with 100 people in it, 10 are real buyer prospects, 5 are experts that know the car well, 85 are just dopey random cars guys that want to be heard or show off their skills - the difference is on BAT EVERYONE reads your comment, even if makes them dumber for reading it and answers are expected by the majority crowd no matter how dumb the question. Group think is an interesting thing where an individual lowers their intelligence and goes with the group - look at our politics for example.

On my 69 912 last month some guy claimed to spot cracks on my trailing arms, I said what are you talking about, he had stared at one picture so long he convinced himself there were cracks in my heavy steel suspension arms. It was just an illusion in 1 picture

Little details would have me running away. I mean how hard would it be to get the correct hood badge on a car that will hit 150K plus. I guess it's shiny and clean looking at least and that may be enough for many, but I looked at the pics for 30 seconds and picked up a number of details that would bother me. And this is from a guy that is no expert in SWB cars.
    69 911S #1379
    65 356 SC #130757

@mark...just in between:which cars would be the gold standard then?

br

haul
    59 750 pre unit triton
    63 650 gray silver bikinitub triumph thunderbird
    70 650 astralred silver triumph bonneville
    65 912 slate gray "erwin"
    73 914 ravennagreen "ferdl"
    erwin_loves_polo

I know of one. It is polo red and owned by an ESR member. It's as good as it gets.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

If the seller took the top off and measured diagonally from windshield area to Targa bar area. (any convenient places) And these values compared plus or minus 10mm. then at least what ever repair would be limited to the top itself and not an adjustment due to improper body work.

Ok so it (shockingly) got $300k. Someone really wanted this one I guess. I get the green SWT as a lot of effort was put into details. This one really looks to be lacking in details, but I know that’s been discussed here.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)