Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross Country Transport Service

Cross Country Transport Service

Could members recommend a reliable, not too touchy transport service for a running basketcase with parts in the backseat, going from Washington to the East Coast.

Give Intercity Lines Inc. a try... Some of our members have used them, and they're one of our ESSES sponsors...

intercitylines.com
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

+1 on Intercity Lines. I was very happy with their service when they transported my 911S.

Alan
    N.J.
    Alan
    N.J.

1964 E-Type roadster
    1969 911S
    1988 328GTB
    2002 Maranello

Another happy Intercity Lines customer. Brought me a Signal Yellow 911S from the east to the SF Bay Area.
    Good communication, nice delivery, took care of the car, and the price was reasonable.
    +1

I will contact them, thanks.

I've been involved in long-distance car shipping 4 times in the past 4 years. I've given Intercity a shot each time, but they always decline, saying they don't run a route that covers both source and destination. I'm always a bit incredulous. Eugene is right on I-5, and it's interstate all the way to Chicago, which was the last one they declined.

I've had good results on the last three with ShipACarDirect
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

If it is a car you care about use one of the big carriers like Intercity or Reliable. I've seen too many horror stories with the cheap guys. Yes, it will cost double for the good transport, but it's a lot cheaper then damages, which truckers never pay for. I watched a guy ball up a Pre-A once.

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

912->911 conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by Arne View Post
    I've been involved in long-distance car shipping 4 times in the past 4 years. I've given Intercity a shot each time, but they always decline, saying they don't run a route that covers both source and destination. I'm always a bit incredulous. Eugene is right on I-5, and it's interstate all the way to Chicago, which was the last one they declined.

I've had good results on the last three with ShipACarDirect
    Arne,

I have only had to ship a car once - after my engine blew up on the way to Luftgekuhlt in 2017, I needed to ship my car from LA to the Canadian border in Montana. Intercity gave me that same story. Reliable gave me a great quote. When I called to accept the quote, the guy said "I need to check on this. This doesn't seem right to me. Let me call my west coast operations manager". He came back and said "He says he'll honour that - but let me tell you, you might be waiting up to 6 weeks until a truck is actually headed that direction". Which was OK - I understand, I'm shipping a car to the middle of nowhere. A day later, my phone rings and the guy says "I can pick your car up in an hour. Is there someone there to meet me?". I got lucky that a Reliable truck needed to go to Montana to drop off a truck and had room for my car.

So maybe I got lucky in the end, but Reliable did me right. I also need to send a shoutout to Eric Shea @ PMB in SLC, as I figured a Hail Mary was to ship my car to him (LA --> SLC seemed far more likely) as I can make it to SLC in a (long) day of driving. Even though he doesn't know me from Adam, Eric said "Sure, whatever you need".
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe

All politics are local. I have tried to book with Intercity and Reliable on a number of cars over many years and both lacked the commitment of even a somewhat flexible pick up and delivery. Reliable to me - perhaps because of their huge presence in the collector car community with many high end clients - is the worst in that regard (in my experience). Agent's just seem to have the attitude of take it or leave it. I have used PLYCAR for about 10 years (they transport for PORSCHE NORTH AMERICA new cars) and they have always kept their word on pick up and delivery. Nick Plyconis (I believe that is the correct spelling of his last name) owns the outfit, and if wanted, I can provide his direct contact info if you want to PM me.

I used these guys in August to move a 993 from Northern CA to Wyoming, it was a good experience and the pricing was fair, I would use them again. https://www.mccollisters.com/services/auto-transport/