Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Correct Seatbelts 1968

Those are some pretty belts. Mine are all jacked up and all but 1 date label is rotten.

Now I am really confused. I ordered the anchor kit form Stoddard, which came today. I purchased a set of 1968 belts, and spent a day cleaning them all up to install today. When I went to lay them out to prepare for installation - I noticed some issues here.

1. Two anchor points/reverse clamps which I have anchor points for behind the seats.

Name:  IMG_7665.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  89.0 KB

2. You can see all of the tags match, and were produced in February 1968:

Name:  IMG_7667.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  96.1 KB

3. I love the belts and have really cleaned them up nice. However, after confirming I have the (now covered up) third/shoulder mounting cup, and purchasing the rather expensive mount/clamp knobs from Stoddard, something isn't adding up here, as the shoulder/3rd mount portion looks like a 69 B-pillar mount, no? Why are these original 1968 tagged belts (February 1968 tag) equipped with an anchor point and not the clamp as shown earlier.

Name:  IMG_7666.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  133.4 KB

Nothing seems to be consistent here in photos or documentation, and it is frustrating! I'll tell you what I am tempted to do, and that is to drill a hole through the original mount point that was covered up and put a washer and nut on the back side (inner fender well), seal it and call it a day. How many people would that upset, if the plastic covered mount point went directly into the portion below the quarter glass as opposed to the clamp setup? I guess the only downfall is not being able to unclamp the belt for easy access into/out of the back (passenger access - not that I would have any passengers....)

Help!
    Looking for a 1967 911S Project!

My 78 FJ40 Build

Dallas

Belts look really good all cleaned up. Perplexed over your dilemma since I never took the occasion to install after I bought them. Don't have my '68 manual handy so I resorted to the 912 BBS reference library. Attached a copy of the appropriate page out of the '68 manual Explanation under the picture seems to say that all holes were drilled and taped and then covered with plastic caps. Says belt shackles are to be screwed in. I think that's why the one end of the belts that has the bolt, is covered by the vinyl piece. Takes the place of the caps you remove. Looks like the lower connection holes have a similar removable cap. I think you indicated you have a hole in the appropriate place that was upholstered over. If I am incorrect I'll take the belts back and give you a full refund. If I am correct hope Stoddard gives you a refund.

Tom

Name:  seat belt  20210407_12582662.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  89.5 KB

Tom - You're a gentleman. Thank you. I do love the belts. What is perplexing me is the mount point for the shoulder harness. If you look back to post #14, I was under the assumption, it would be the Stoddard kit (they will accept a return, so no worries).

However, after going to install the belts, it's a different fixture all together, which I don't mind at all. I just wonder if its ok to put a 7/16x20 washer/nut on the back side and mount the seatbelt as is?

I have both versions of the 1968 911L Driver's manual (USA, top and ROW, bottom), which concur with what you'd mention Tom. Remove the plastic cap and thread in the bolt. Maybe it was simply the seatbelt set that was available to the Porsche dealerships? Some sets are like the set you sold me, and others came with the clamps and (for the lack of a better term) nubbin that screws into the wall just under the quarter glass.

Name:  IMG_7670.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  137.7 KB

My 78 FJ40 Build

Your belts look to be correct for the '68. Your confusion is in the shoulder mount. The '68 did not have any sort of a clip in and out fastening. It was a direct bolt up through the shoulder strap mount that you have into the welded threaded receiver under the quarter window. It has been a while but the mounting bolt needed has a shoulder that the belt mount can pivot on/around. It looks like you have the correct bolt in photo post #22.

As for just drilling, for me it is a safety concern it seems. The factory anchor point is a reinforced welded in mount as opposed to a hole in the inside fender well with washers. Up to you. My apologies if I interrupted your situation incorrectly.

Thank you on helping confirm the right set of belts. The factory anchor point on my car was covered from inside, so I am going to have to rebuild that area, reinforcing with steel to ensure it will be even beefier than the original anchor point.

My 78 FJ40 Build

Restoration Design MAY have that weld in anchor. Check them out.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Excellent Ed - they indeed have the part that I can spot weld in. Nice! https://www.restoration-design.com/store/product/PP239

My 78 FJ40 Build

Trying to help a member mount his Hickok belts in a 68 911S and made some observations. I found an nos bolt from nos 68 dated Hickok three point belts, same as the bolt stuck in a rusted out body piece with a Hickok belt attached. It has the std. seat belt bolt thread, not the smaller thread on my 67 replaced rear qtr. body pieces. Can I assume Porsche put a larger thread in original 68 body pieces? They do get replaced often from rust damage, Stoddards says 65-68 the same but I’m not so sure. Notice how the nos bolt has a score to distort the threads and allow it to be installed part way and not back out. Does 65-67 Hickok harness use the split type diagonal belt end and 68 uses the one piece belt end?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

member #1515
    My 67 euro model had Klippans, same as my 69 US 6.3 Mercedes
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs