Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mysterious fuel gauge level indication….. anyone run into this?

Interesting, seems I have the same issue, stuck on ⅓ !!
    Must be a solution.

I think it is a very common problem. And sometimes (rarely) it is a gauge fault or wiring fault but most of the time it is a sender issue. A few times I’ve had luck disassembling the sender and gently sliding the float up and down in the wires. there can be some binding or gunk on the wires causing the float to hang there.

Keep in mind, the low fuel light is a separate set of contacts outside the main level sender circuit so the low fuel light will often function properly despite the fuel level gauge trading much higher.

But then, certain cars it seems like every new sender I install, it still hangs once the sender is installed in the tank.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

Blucille-
    But then, certain cars it seems like every new sender I install, it still hangs once the sender is installed in the tank.
    . What did you do when you find them hanging and not sliding correctly?
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Quote Originally Posted by Haasman View Post
    Blucille- . What did you do when you find them hanging and not sliding correctly?
    Look for a burr or a kink in the wire or debris on the float. There’s not much to these things. Somewhat fragile but pretty simple mechanicals.
    looking for 1972 911t motor XR584, S/N 6121622

So you have a new sender,,,it and the gauge have been checked by a repair shop who said it was NOW working. What does that mean? Did they do anything? So now you can plug harness on the sender, turn upside down and it shows full, turn rightside up and it shows empty and the reserve light comes on. When did it LAST work correctly? Anything done since then? And on the back of the gauge power wire is connected to + term. Green is connected to 'G' term. Black is connected to the reserve light spade. AND there is a ground wire grounding the entire instrument (check with ohm meter). Tightening the sender screws is a non issue. Looking down in the tank there is NOTHING that would be in the way of the sender body (why I asked if tank was stock, I had problem with sender lightly touching baffle of 100 liter tank) So when gauge sticks at 1/3 slowly lift out sender while someone watches dash gauge, see if anything happens.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Thanks Ed.

Yes it is a new sending unit. (LOL, I am the repair shop ...) Before I installed it I checked for gauge movement. I recalled that the reason I replaced the original S.U. was because of this problem: Inaccurate fuel level reporting. It is since the install (on the 911S) that I have ben trying to figure out what is going on.

On the 914-6 which is having the same problem, I took both the gauge and sending unit to a well known speedo repair shop. They checked it out, did some minor work and said it was working correctly. After getting it back, again before installing I watched the gauge indicate the position of the float in the sending unit. Since it will not display low fuel, no resave light and tends to hang around 1/2 full but will will show a full tank when the tank is full.

Thanks for these- always good to double-check:

-on the back of the gauge power wire is connected to + term.
    -Green is connected to 'G' term.
    -Black is connected to the reserve light spade.
    -AND there is a ground wire grounding the entire instrument (check with ohm meter).

I will follow those steps and update.
    Last edited by Haasman; 04-05-2021 at 04:28 PM.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

Ed- Wires as you described.

Name:  IMG_4188.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  94.8 KB
    Name:  IMG_4189.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  72.2 KB
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709

They all appear to be the right colors to the correct terminals. The whole gauge body should be grounded thru the two brown wires on the gauge male spade,,,,but just for grins move the brown wires to the ground spade closer to the fuel gauge. I'm assuming at this point you can remove the sender, go upside down and right side up and get both empty (with reserve light) and full, but when in the tank it always shows the same level no matter how much fuel?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

with the gauge removed, power on, wiggle wires to see if needle moves to correct position

Ed- relocated brown ground to other spade on back of gauge. No difference. I have not recently remove the sending unit to observe its normal sweep, but did so prior to install.
    Of course I just filled the car, but next step is to reduce the fuel and confirm the gauge needle sweep.

72t4tom- I wiggled the connectors, removed and reinstalled them, unfortunately no difference.
    Haasman

Registry #2489
    R Gruppe #722
    65 911 #302580
    70 914-6 #9140431874
    73 911s #9113300709