Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Tire Suggestions for My '68 911L...

Back to the tires - on 5.5" you can run either the original 165-15 or the later 185/70-15. Probably even 195/65-15, but those might be a bit pinched on a 5.5".

For 165-15, decent tire choices are limited. Vredsteins, Michelin XAS (from Coker) or CN36. (In theory, the recent Dunlop Classic as well, but they are virtually impossible to get here in the US.)

For 185/70-15 the same 3 brands are available, although the Michelin in that size is the XWX.

I'm not a particular fan of the Vredsteins, both the appearance and the handling seems mediocre in my opinion.

The Pirellis (either size) seem to be the favorite choice these days, but are not truly period-correct for your '68. I do like the rounded shoulders of the CN36 on the narrower wheels sizes, however. And of the 3 brands we are talking about (V, M and P), probably the best handling tires of the bunch. They do have the N approval from Porsche for our early cars.

I like the looks of the wider Michelin XWX on LWB cars a lot. And it's a decent handling tire, even if not quite up the the CN36 standard. But they are rather square-shouldered, and so maybe not as good on the 5.5" wheel as they are on wider wheels.

The Michelin XAS is the most period-correct choice of this bunch, and while they used to be H-rated and tube-type, they are now V-rated tubeless, and now carry the N approval from Porsche for 356 and SWB 911/912. If it were mine, I think these would be my first choice.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

I've recommended 195 x 60 x 15's for friend's SWB cars with smaller wheels with good results....

Unfortunately the V rated selection is much more limited them it used to be...

I have found on Tire Rack:
    Vredestein Sprint +
    Kumho Solus TA71

There's also a Hankook Kinergy 4S2, but the tread look too contemporary for me...
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

185 Avons. Game over.

Here are the Avon's mentioned. I'd be interested to hear why they are the @#$.

Here is the Michelin recommendation - these look great, too!
    Looking for a 1967 911S Project!

My 78 FJ40 Build

Harvey lost his house and not his business/workshop. Still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by dmaddox View Post
    Here are the Avon's mentioned. I'd be interested to hear why they are the @#$.

Here is the Michelin recommendation - these look great, too!
    Actually I was referring to the CR6ZZ. They have the period look and fantastic adhesion. They are used as a racing 'rain tire' in Europe so they're perfect for street cars that don't get used below 50ish degrees Fahrenheit. Do a search here on the forum and you'll see almost universal praise. The one caveat is that they wear faster than other options. I'll never go back though.

https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/185...von-cr6zz.html

Wow - they do look awesome ibmiked - thank you for sharing. Any US based vendors you know of? I'm trying to find one.
    Looking for a 1967 911S Project!

My 78 FJ40 Build

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    I use Verdestein Sprint Classic 185x70X15 on 4 corners (5,5 wheels) on my 911L and am very happy with - I drive her 10 000 km a year ( raods, tracks, rallyes) and am using these shoes since I own her.
    Name:  PB_PHOTOGRAPHY_TAO_2020_X_SHE-9.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  112.2 KB
    Credit : Pierre Bruno Photography
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Thanks all, this was fantastic help and I learned a lot more about the different options out there than I had anticipated. Before I pinged you guys I was initially leaning towards the Cinturato’s, but after hearing everyone’s input here and considering all the different options, I’ve decided to go with the Michelin XAS’s in the original 165 VR 15 fitment.

My goal has always been to enjoy this awesome car by driving it and enjoying with our family. This car has been part of my family since 1972 and under my care since 1992, and like my uncle before me I’ve always maintained it as original as possible. I’ve remained committed to maintaining the car’s originality with this body and paint restoration project, all the way down to keeping the goofy 1968-only side reflectors . With that in mind, I think that the XAS’s will look exactly right and be most period correct on the 5 ½ x 15 Fuchs that Harvey restored so beautifully for me. I was close to going with the XWX’s, but I really want to maintain the same look and stance of the car from the day it rolled off the factory floor on February 13, 1968. While I frankly don’t think I can lose either way, the XAS’s are N0 rated and in the end I’ve opted for the more original looking XAS’s versus the more planted feel of the XWX’s.

Thanks again for all the great into on this super-deep tire thread, and I’ll make sure to pop up an update once I get the tires installed and pick up the car in a few weeks when all the work is finally complete.

Name:  Michelin XAS 2.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  61.2 KB

Name:  Michelin XAS.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  47.2 KB
    Early 911S Reg #3096
    "Chester" - 1968 911 L, Fully Restored, Numbers Matching, Tangerine Orange on the original 5 1/2 x 15 Fuchs wheels
    "The Beast" - 2010 911 4S Cab, Triple Black, 6 Speed MT, SSK, PSE with Fabspeed Sport Headers and 200-Cell Cats
    "The Truck" - 2019 Cayenne Turbo, Jet Black, Sport Chrono, PSE, Rear Axle Steering & PSCB Brakes (for haulin' stuff... fast)
    ”Blue” - 2023 911 Turbo S Cab, Gentian Blue over Deviated Black Leather with PSE & PCCB’s

I don't think you could have gone too far wrong with any of the choices mentioned here. But if family drives and period/original looks are part of the criteria, I think you made the best choice.

Here's hoping the XAS are actually available and in stock right now!
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic