Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone know the metallurgy of a 901 stub axle to the transmission

Chris, what's the hardness of the ground surface? You might try spray or laser spray welding. I went down this path when I fixed my nadellas. With the right inserts and speeds and feeds you can get surfaces that rival ground ones which takes out an extra machining step. I am sure some more knowledgeable than me will pitch in.

Chris, can you have the material tested?
    There are some portable machines performing fluorescence X (not sure about the english designation).
    It's not the most accurate analysis, but it'll give you a good idea of the steel grade. If so, you can determine if it can be welded/heat treated and the adequate welding rods.

I wouldn't "spray weld" the journals. Laser weld might be a good option.
    Not an expert, but spray weld isn't really a weld, while laser weld is actually a weld.

This is the opinion from an engineer. And, as with every good engineer, things are over comolicated ��

You could also go the shop route, grab a pair of parts, have them weld with the multipurpose rods they have and it might work like a charm! This is probably the best way to go.

912->911 conversion
    Quote Originally Posted by Olivier View Post
    There are some portable machines performing fluorescence X (not sure about the english designation)..
    Olivier,

En anglais - it's referred to as "x-ray fluorescence spectroscopy" or XRF for short

Here's a good article on different types of methods for positive material identification (PMI)
    https://www.thermofisher.com/blog/me...-libs-and-oes/
    Keith Adams
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada
    Early 911S Registry #906 | PCA member IG: @912R
    1969 Blutorange 912R - 912 to 911 conversion
    1969 Mercedes 280 SE (W111) Coupe

The hard chrome guys are having second thoughts. They thought the stub axles would turn inside a bearing surface. As this is steel on steel they are concerned the hard chrome might peal over time. So it appears I either weld up a second set like the first or use a set of 914 stub axles and spacers until another solution come up like making one from scratch. Probably very very expensive considering the market for this might be at best 25 sets for the world market. If I use 914 stub axles the roll pin holes will be welded, ground, lathed, drilled and taped. Then a 25 mm spacer and 70 mm bolts hold it together. The outer 6 hole part of a SWB CV can be used as the spacer. It works, it's inexpensive but it's very inelegant. It looks ugly and is totally against my nature even if nobody can see it. I'll know it's there and it will bug me to no end. I want only the best solution I can come up with.
    I very much appreciate all of your input guys. If you think of something else now or in the future I'm open to your ideas. This kind of stuff keeps my 69 year old brain working and active. Thanks.

Here is the drawing Tom Conway of Carquip gave to his machinist 10 years ago to to make my first set. The machinist had a lot of Porsche experience and had worked with Tom over a long period of time. He has since passed. If you attempt this you will need 2 SWB and 2 LWB or 914 stub axles.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 04-15-2021 at 06:17 AM.
    1959 Auratium Green 356A Super w/ Rudge wheels
    1970 Irish Green 914-6 w/2.2S
    Current -1967 Bahama Yellow 912 POLO 2cam4 #1
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    Personalized Vintage Porsche's and parts
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

A couple hours ago I came to the conclusion I was looking at this all wrong. On the 912 BBS a couple guys came up with a good SWB axle solution. I have a new set on my shelf. They have bigger ball bearings and a proper 6 bolt CV pattern. So with about a 1 inch longer axle and a 914 stub axle they just bolt together. No spacer, no cutting and welding of stub axles. It will be clean, simple, and strong. I’ll get the proper length to within 1 mm when I remeasure.
    www.reSeeWorks.com
    I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself-Ferdinand Porsche

Here I go again. I'm now hearing about custom stub axles made in Germany. If they could be made at a decent price we could use stock length axles. Maybe we'll have more than one clean solution.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

After 8 hours working on the 911E I spent a little time on this conversion project.
    I'm going the longer axle route. I had a diff carrier lathed on the short side to flat. Then I drilled 6 holes in a piece of aluminum to the SWB and 914 bolt pattern. I taped four of the holes and left the holes where the roll pins used to be untapped. Once I get the 914 stub axles back from the machinist (he is cleaning up the welds where the roll pins used to be) I can insert the stub axles into the carrier with the aluminum guide plate and drill the holes and tap them.
    I will remeasure for axle length. If all goes well the axle and stub axle should be bolt on.

I think the carrier will end up as a lamp base.
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 04-18-2021 at 07:40 AM.
    www.reSeeWorks.com

The 914 stub axles came out as expected. I'm having axles made one inch longer by Peter who frequents the 912 BBS. He uses parts from Taylor Racing. They're strong and work perfect.
    Here is more info if your interested.
    The reason the bolts stick out is the factory CV is 32 or 33 mm thick. The CV spacer is turned down to 25 mm. I'm not using the spacer and stock axles as it would require 25 mm longer bolts and that spacer weighs 1.5 to 2 pounds. One inch more axle length will weigh less and keep the weight in a much smaller diameter.

https://www.912bbs.org/forum/threads....37206/page-33

https://www.912bbs.org/forum/resourc...axle-build.82/
    Last edited by Chris Pomares; 04-22-2021 at 01:32 PM.
    www.reSeeWorks.com