Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What can I call this.

What can I call this.

I have a General Info topic to have discussed on this forum.

Having what is pictured below I am wondering how I should (without offending anyone) describe the item.

My dilemma is this.

If I was to describe it as 'Vintage' would it be acceptable (knowingly stating 'Vintage' to attract more $ due to the word 'Vintage')

or

Is it more apt to classify it as 'Early' (having no knowledge what age it is anyway and attracting less $ due to it not being 'Vintage')

or

Perhaps classify it as 'Classic' (also not knowing if it is 'Classic' as different people see things as 'Classic' when others don't)

maybe

Just call it having 'Patina' (but some people pay less for 'Patina' as it implys worn and used and worth even less $$)

Then again,

I could just call it 'Old' but that makes less sense as people will just want it for free because it is 'Old'.

Ok, so once I get the General Info feedback from our Forum I will have a better idea on,

A- What classifies 'Vintage'
    B- What classifies 'Early'
    The 'Patina' 'Classic' and 'Old' are just variables that fit into both A and B.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Name:  IMG_0262.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  138.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0263.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  100.5 KB
    Last edited by NZVW; 04-11-2021 at 08:47 PM.
    Mark

You are over-thinking it. Just call it "Cool".
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Yes Arne but is it "VINTAGE" ?
    Mark

this is awesome

looks NOS to me( tiny screen)... that term fetches the most.
    if it is not i`d call it very very nice

Like Franz said, if it has no traces of being mounted to a hub its (likely) NOS.
    Otherwise Excellent or mint 60s? stagged MOMO?

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Moito,
    I am only using the MoMo (which is in my car and NOT for sale) as an example.
    What I am trying to establish is

A- What classifies 'Vintage'
    B- What classifies 'Early'

NOS can be anything from both A & B
    Mark

People use them interchangeably and loosely. It's like with food these days. Natural, Fresh, Local, Organic, Non-GMO, Farm-to-table, superfood, energy-boosting, sun ripened, antioxidant, blah blah blah.....

Vintage is properly associated with wine, however in the car world it follows (from my research) a 40-60 year old block of time prior to the current date.
    Early is, again in my research, associated with the 1st edition of something and/or relates to a time period prior to vintage (60+ years prior to the current date).
    Retro, is another word we hear a lot of, which is the 20-40 year ago mark from the current date.

Last, I agree that Patina, Classic, etc.. are all adjectives that further define one of the categories above. "A classic retro seat cover". Is a seat cover from the 80's that has a persisting style.

Your MOMO steering wheel is what I'd call Vintage, or a classic vintage, without patina - which could indicate NOS. :-)

Now, back to my job as a make-shift antiques roadshow appraiser. Kidding aside, I hope this helps - and what I'm seeing is a proper way of calling things as I watch appraisals, auctions, etc..
    Looking for a 1967 911S Project!

My 78 FJ40 Build

I'd just call it a sliver stacked logo 360 Prototipo nothing less and nothing more. That's what it is.
    If this is late 60s or early 70 I think no one can tell except if you're the first owner, or you have anything dating this apart from the wheel itself.
    And opposed to the recently discussed this is a "normal" where the other was a "late" claiming to be very early which wasn't the case.

According to Merriam-Webster...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100