Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yet another 2.2T owner seeking sanity check on adding displacement

Quote Originally Posted by raspy2point2 View Post
    Nice engine Ravi-- Who bored out your biral cylinders to 85mm? And were there any concerns about matching the custom pistons with the new size cylinders? Looks like you are going for torque with the 70.4 crank. Same here. But I would like the engine to run out of breath at 7000 rpm ,not 5600 if that is possible. The other concern is the thickness of the LN Nickies being thin compared to factory Mahle cylinders --has to bring more heat to the engine and a high compression engine brings even more heat. Bill says no problem-- My temp stays at 180. Wonder what the temp would be like on a heat wave day in the valley? I will have a external oil cooler installed.
    First and foremost, there are many paths to a hp and torque-enhanced engine based on a mag 3R case. As Bill has said, it all depends on what you are looking to get out of your engine, what type of driving experience you want and your budget.

My engine builder shipped a set of Mahle 2.2S biral cylinders to a shop and ordered custom CP pistons (85mm) to match the bore. So, this way the shop who is boring out the cylinders is also responsible for procuring the right custom pistons from CP Carillo. Eliminates any finger-pointing.

The redline on my engine will be 7200 rpm. I wanted a high reving engine so I went with the DC40 cams which have a S-mod power band.

Since the engine will have an S+ engine spec, I plan to install a front fender oil cooler with standard 74 external oil lines.

/Ravi
    Last edited by rgupta250; 01-31-2023 at 01:26 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------
    1971 911T/2.45 engine spec Coupe / Gold Metallic on Black
    1995 911 C2 / Guards Red on Cashmere Beige (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by myflat6 View Post
    here is the marketing speel (copy paste) from LN on the thermo/cooling and other benefits. Take it for what its worth

Nickies have more surface area and up to twice the thermal conductivity of factory Mahle cast aluminum cylinders

Nickies have as much as four times the thermal conductivity of cast iron or ductile iron cylinders

Nickies have up to 50% greater tensile and ultimate yield strength than OEM Porsche cast aluminum cylinders

Nickies are stronger and more ductile than any cast iron, ductile iron, or aluminum OEM or aftermarket cylinders

Nickies allow for larger slip-fit and machine-in sizes than previously available with cast iron or aluminum cylinders

Most Nickies cylinders for Porsche applications come half-mooned for improved crankcase windage, which is typically good for 8-10hp over factory Mahle non-half-mooned cylinders
    Bill, I agree with you, the Nickies are a much better engineered cylinder than the Mahle cylinders. However, you have to factor-in cost. You can buy a nice set of used Mahle 2.2S Biral cylinders for $500-$700 versus a new set of LN Nickies for $4,836.
    Last edited by rgupta250; 01-31-2023 at 01:29 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------
    1971 911T/2.45 engine spec Coupe / Gold Metallic on Black
    1995 911 C2 / Guards Red on Cashmere Beige (Sold)

Quote Originally Posted by rgupta250 View Post
    Bill, I agree with you, the Nickies are a much better engineered cylinder than the Mahle cylinders. However, you have to factor-in cost. You can buy a nice set of used 2.2S Biral cylinders for $500-$700 versus a new set of LN Nickies for $4,836.
    hard to argue with that, Ravi. They are expensive. They were a little cheaper back when I purchased them and they typically run a huge sale each black Friday that I waited for. Still expensive, though. I was able to justify some extra spending in some areas of my build/restoration since I was doing the labor - this was one

And to the earlier question on powerband/redline - yes, your DC40 cam will continue to build power nicely up to your redline. As you said, it is all about what folks want from their motors and where they want the power/torque to be. Can't wait to see how your motor comes together. Love the choices and I have to admit I was very much on the fence of the DC40's. The way I look at it is that I can change cams fairly easily if I want to do that -- maybe your motor will convince me!? I am guessing that cam will get 10-15 more peak HP in my motor compared to DC30 cams - but the power/torque curves will be different -- essentially shifting right along the RPM axis (I believe). but i do love the DC30's so far.
    Last edited by myflat6; 01-31-2023 at 02:24 PM.
    Bill

Early 911S Registry Member #4087
    Instagram: @myflat6

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa
    '97C4S (sold - and regretting it)

Quote Originally Posted by myflat6 View Post
    while we are sharing motor pics, i just have to add mine here she is just before i installed back in the car

Attachment 589878

Attachment 589879
    Looks great! What's your exhaust?
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

Quote Originally Posted by teenchy View Post
    Looks great! What's your exhaust?
    thanks! nothing crazy. SSI's (sourced an original set - pre Dansk) and a Dansk sport muffler. seems to do the trick and i like the sound.
    Bill

Early 911S Registry Member #4087
    Instagram: @myflat6

'72T hotrod 210 0228
    '82SC Targa
    '97C4S (sold - and regretting it)

Is there much of a weight change between these two generally accepted solutions? Cost is one consideration but Im curious about weight as well. I dont know what an oil cooler adds either.

Hello Ravi , I like your engine except for the crankshaft , the stroke is just out of proportion to the bore , more like a tractor engine , the connecting rod angle is too much . 3.0 SC engines have the same stroke and things are back in proportion .
    Porsche made the 2.4 liter to compensate for detuning the 2.2 for emission requirements , detuning that was antiquated by todays knowledge and standards such as lowering the C R . Your engine redline may be 7,200 but it will not easily go there . The 2.4 is basically a smog dog , but bore and stroke became better proportioned with the 2.7 liter engine . Porsche tested several 2.5 liter engines for the ST ,one with 66mm stroke and one with 70.4 stroke ,
    the 66mm stroke was used . or 68mm I think .
    Last edited by Richy; 05-29-2023 at 07:02 PM.

Hi Richy what do you mean proportion of the stroke to the bore? I am also about to build a bigger engine from a 2 liter aluminum case but do not want to cut the case for 90mm bore. I wonder what characteristic using a 70.4 crank I will be unhappy with? You say like a tractor engine. Hard to understand what that would be like in a Porsche engine. A lot of people rave about the 2.2S engine with a 70.4 crank. I thought of doing the same but with a 86mm bore. How is that on proportion? Is it just because of the70.4 crank that I cannot have a high revving screaming engine? BTW I thought the factory originally put together the ST with a 87.5 bore and 70.4 crank but had flywheel bolts come loose,so they went back to 66mm crank. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Richy you have a PM Raspy
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

2.5 short stroke is the best of both worlds, torque and revs. I’m using Mahle cylinders and JE 2.7 pistons for 10-1 CR and use pump gas. I also have a set of 2.7 Nickies with Mahle Motorsports pistons. They sized the cylinders a little different from the Mahles so you probably can’t use other brand 2.7 pistons with those cylinders. A ring set for the JEs was easy to find and was a reasonable $168, finding a set of Mahle Motorsports rings was ridiculous, Mahle US had one set, dealers had none but I had to have a dealer order them for me, cost was almost $400, I bought them because they also fit my Cosworth pistons. My 2.5 has a shuffle pinned mag case, Carrera oil pump, cross drilled crank, 38 and 37mm ports, Carrillo rods and uses 46 PMOs and Elgin mod S cams. A little thirsty though.