Thread: Door Pocket Hinge Breaking Issue

Door Pocket Hinge Breaking Issue

Hey Guys !!
    In getting ready for a concours, we have encountered breaking several plastic hinges. They are so thin in the middle and are not very flexible. Does anyone have this problem ?? Any vendors have better ones than others ?? Thanks !! Name:  B1E10759-83D7-4C65-B0DF-7A1EF1CFDC0C.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  159.9 KB
    George Kehler in Tennessee

1955 356 coupe
    1971 911S (knee deep in restoration)
    1997 993 Targa

I would have considered using leather as my hinge....and maybe I would have considered to add a thin layer of leather sandwiched with the plastic part.

Current long term ownership: 63 Cab, 71 911, 74 914

Good idea, Scott. Any other suggestions ??

1955 356 coupe
    1997 993 Targa

Hinges of that type are known as living hinges at least in my industry. When molded, the hinge is supposed to be flexed several times while still warm to better align the molecules, but I think this is rarely does in volume production. It also depends on the material. Nylon for example is a condensation polymer that converts the raw materials to long molecules of polymer and water. Think of it as spaghetti with sauce. When molding, the nylon has to be thoroughly dried before melting to prevent bubbles. Right after molding the part must be rehydrated to regain their toughness. One trick may be to soak them in hot water overnight on an annual basis to help keep the plastic stronger. I find that all plastics tend to degrade over time, and 50 years is a very long time for these pieces. If the breaking parts are new, then they are likely poorly molded.
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers

Very good observations, Dave !! Actually, these are new and actually only opened twice, gently, as these have broken before. As I recall, once they spontaneously broke and when we opened the door, dragged over the rubber seal. I wonder if there is just one supplier to all the usual vendors ??

1955 356 coupe
    1997 993 Targa

Might consider harvesting hinges from otherwise bad pockets, at least they would be good old original hinges.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I thought about 3d printing some new ones using commonly available flexible TPE filament, when I restored my pockets recently. My hinges ended up being okay so I didn't pursue it. Maybe someone on the forum has some experience doing this?

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Might consider harvesting hinges from otherwise bad pockets, at least they would be good old original hinges.
    My memory might be a little fuzzy on this but, I think that the fixed pockets use the same hinges for attachment but, they never get exercised so, maybe a good source for original parts from completely roached pockets. If a flip pocket is roached, likely the hinges on it are as well.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Great idea to try old ones. 10 years ago I did not save my moldy “roached” pockets hinges. I will try old ones. If they have lasted to this point, they will probably last thru this concours season !!

1955 356 coupe
    1997 993 Targa